Recipe Fish stew

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:51 AM
Rick Stein's fish stew. I use this as my basic recipe for fish stew. Its a fish soup recipe but if you don't liquidise it and use less stock, it becomes a fish stew. Sometimes I add mussels in their shells at the end of the cooking and serve as soon as they open. Anyway, I love the saffron in it!
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/19/rick-stein-favourite-seafood-recipes
fb7b4552-09c5-4b26-9bb1-511a087d1f5f-2060x1236.jpeg

Classic fish soup with rouille and croutons

Serves 4
mixed fish 1kg, such as gurnard, cod and grey mullet (alternative fish: any except for oily fish such as herring, mackerel or salmon)
olive oil 90ml
onion, celery, leek and fennel 75g of each, roughly chopped
garlic cloves 3, sliced
orange zest 2 strips
tomatoes 200g, tinned chopped
red pepper 1, seeded and sliced
bay leaf 1
thyme 1 sprig
saffron strands a pinch
chilli flakes ½ tsp
unpeeled prawns 100g
fish stock 1.2 litres (see below)
orange juice of ½
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the fish stock
Makes 1.2 litres
fish bones 1kg
onion 1, chopped
fennel bulb 1, chopped
celery 100g, sliced
carrot 100g, chopped
button mushrooms 25g, sliced
thyme 1 sprig
water 2.5 litres

For the croutons
baguette 1, small
olive oil for frying
garlic clove 1
rouille ½ quantity (see below)
parmesan cheese 25g, finely grated

For the rouille
Makes 300ml
white bread 25g, sliced, day-old crustless
fish stock or water a little
harissa 2 tbsp
garlic cloves 3 fat, peeled
egg yolk 1
salt ¼ tsp
olive oil 250ml

Fillet all the fish and use the bones to make a fish stock. To make the stock, put all the ingredients into a large pan and simmer very gently for 30 minutes. Strain through a muslin-lined fine sieve, and use as required. If not using immediately, leave to cool, then chill and refrigerate or freeze.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the vegetables and garlic and cook gently for 20 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the orange zest, tomatoes, red pepper, bay leaf, thyme, saffron, chilli flakes and prawns, and the fish fillets. Cook briskly for 2-3 minutes, then add the strained stock and orange juice, bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes.

For the croutons, thinly slice the baguette on the diagonal and fry the slices in the olive oil until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and rub one side of each piece with the garlic clove.

Liquidise the soup, then pass it through a sieve into a clean pan, pressing out as much liquid as possible with the back of a ladle. Return the soup to the heat and season to taste.

To make the rouille, cover the slice of bread with the stock or water and leave to soften. Squeeze out the excess liquid and put the bread into a food processor with the harissa, garlic, egg yolk and salt. Blend until smooth. With the machine still running, gradually add the oil until you have a smooth, thick, mayonnaise-like mixture. Keeps in the fridge for at least a week.

To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and leave each person to spread rouille onto the croutons, float them on their soup and sprinkle with parmesan.

Last edited:
This actually sounds quite good. I have never had a tomato based one before. We usually use cream.
I would like to give this one a try though. It is really different from our usual.

This actually sounds quite good. I have never had a tomato based one before. We usually use cream.
I would like to give this one a try though. It is really different from our usual.
I think if you use cream, you are technically making a bisque. In the mediterranean, fish stew is usually made with tomatoes. Look up the most famous fish stew of all, the French Bouillabaisse!

Classic fish soup and I think this could be in a tribute to Classic33. A live tribute here in case you were getting worried Classic. It's long/ busy and the kind of recipe I expect from the Professor. Anyway, I see a few things I don't quite know so I will have to just enjoy looking at the picture and put this one on my back burner for now. Still the end result looks like it must be a good strong meal.

Classic fish soup and I think this could be in a tribute to Classic33. A live tribute here in case you were getting worried Classic. It's long/ busy and the kind of recipe I expect from the Professor. Anyway, I see a few things I don't quite know so I will have to just enjoy looking at the picture and put this one on my back burner for now. Still the end result looks like it must be a good strong meal.
To be honest, I don't like the recipe description even though I posted it! Its long and busy, as you say @winterybella But I do know its pretty authentic and I use it as a starting point.
Rick Stein is a good chef who knows his fish. He just can't write succinct recipes!

Last edited:
Rick Stein's fish stew. I use this as my basic recipe for fish stew. Its a fish soup recipe but if you don't liquidise it and use less stock, it becomes a fish stew. Sometimes I add mussels in their shells at the end of the cooking and serve as soon as they open. Anyway, I love the saffron in it!
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/19/rick-stein-favourite-seafood-recipes
View attachment 2100

Classic fish soup with rouille and croutons

Serves 4
mixed fish 1kg, such as gurnard, cod and grey mullet (alternative fish: any except for oily fish such as herring, mackerel or salmon)
olive oil 90ml
onion, celery, leek and fennel 75g of each, roughly chopped
garlic cloves 3, sliced
orange zest 2 strips
tomatoes 200g, tinned chopped
red pepper 1, seeded and sliced
bay leaf 1
thyme 1 sprig
saffron strands a pinch
chilli flakes ½ tsp
unpeeled prawns 100g
fish stock 1.2 litres (see below)
orange juice of ½
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the fish stock
Makes 1.2 litres
fish bones 1kg
onion 1, chopped
fennel bulb 1, chopped
celery 100g, sliced
carrot 100g, chopped
button mushrooms 25g, sliced
thyme 1 sprig
water 2.5 litres

For the croutons
baguette 1, small
olive oil for frying
garlic clove 1
rouille ½ quantity (see below)
parmesan cheese 25g, finely grated

For the rouille
Makes 300ml
white bread 25g, sliced, day-old crustless
fish stock or water a little
harissa 2 tbsp
garlic cloves 3 fat, peeled
egg yolk 1
salt ¼ tsp
olive oil 250ml

Fillet all the fish and use the bones to make a fish stock. To make the stock, put all the ingredients into a large pan and simmer very gently for 30 minutes. Strain through a muslin-lined fine sieve, and use as required. If not using immediately, leave to cool, then chill and refrigerate or freeze.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the vegetables and garlic and cook gently for 20 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the orange zest, tomatoes, red pepper, bay leaf, thyme, saffron, chilli flakes and prawns, and the fish fillets. Cook briskly for 2-3 minutes, then add the strained stock and orange juice, bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes.

For the croutons, thinly slice the baguette on the diagonal and fry the slices in the olive oil until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and rub one side of each piece with the garlic clove.

Liquidise the soup, then pass it through a sieve into a clean pan, pressing out as much liquid as possible with the back of a ladle. Return the soup to the heat and season to taste.

To make the rouille, cover the slice of bread with the stock or water and leave to soften. Squeeze out the excess liquid and put the bread into a food processor with the harissa, garlic, egg yolk and salt. Blend until smooth. With the machine still running, gradually add the oil until you have a smooth, thick, mayonnaise-like mixture. Keeps in the fridge for at least a week.

To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and leave each person to spread rouille onto the croutons, float them on their soup and sprinkle with parmesan.
This is my favourite soup/stew/bisque/whatever and it sounds quite similar to what we do here in Serbia. The best way to do it though, is outside in nature near the pond or a lake or a river. You know what am I talking about probably. We use let's say a fish pot that we put on a tripod, then we make fire and cook the ingredients as you suggested here.

I had a wonderful experience once near Belgrade in a place called Boljevci. It is situated on the banks of the Sava river and they have a place called Biser ( A pearl) where they sunbathe, have bars and live music during the summer. When I was visiting my friend there it was the time of annual fish stew competition. They catch the fish and immediately prepare the stew. Needless to say it was the best fish stew I ever tried. And music was great as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-auGgbPm28

This is the place and you can hear Take Five in the beginning :)

This is my favourite soup/stew/bisque/whatever and it sounds quite similar to what we do here in Serbia. The best way to do it though, is outside in nature near the pond or a lake or a river. You know what am I talking about probably. We use let's say a fish pot that we put on a tripod, then we make fire and cook the ingredients as you suggested here.

I had a wonderful experience once near Belgrade in a place called Boljevci. It is situated on the banks of the Sava river and they have a place called Biser ( A pearl) where they sunbathe, have bars and live music during the summer. When I was visiting my friend there it was the time of annual fish stew competition. They catch the fish and immediately prepare the stew. Needless to say it was the best fish stew I ever tried. And music was great as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-auGgbPm28

This is the place and you can hear Take Five in the beginning :)
I'd love to go there (in the Summer!).

Back
Top Bottom