Five Must-Have Holiday Side Items

What is your favorite holiday side dish?

• Green bean casserole

• Sweet potato casserole

• Deviled eggs

• Stuffing

• Mac and Cheese

Results are only viewable after voting.

katelinwdavis

Local time
6:38 PM
This is a short list of some side dishes that I personally MUST have at my dinner table for both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner! Being a full-time college student who also works part-time, I find it difficult to make very extravagant foods for the holidays. This list consists of all the side dishes that I make that are easy, delicious, and please everyone! Do you have any personal favorites or recipes that you recommend?

Check out my list, see what compares to yours, recommend some new dishes to me.
  • Green bean casserole
  • Sweet potato casserole
  • Deviled eggs
  • Stuffing
  • Mac and Cheese

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Katelin

Welcome to CookingBites.
Why don't you pop over to the New Member Introductions forum and post a new thread the introducing yourself?

I'm not certain what some of these dishes are either. Here Brussel sprouts, roast potatoes, carrots and roast parsnips are the usual side dishes, though I don't think I regard then as side dishes but as veg that goes with the main meal.

Welcome to Cooking Bites ..

I am Barcelonés and we have shellfish appetisers and several different types of seafood on 24th ( The Vigilia = The Vigliance of The 7 Fish Feast on the 24th .. )

On the 25th, my French Mom in law usually prepares Roast Duckling or Roast Lamb or Roast Capon .. Our appetisers are always traditional Provençal and Traditional Catalan ..

The 31st, our family reunion to bring in the New Year is always 12 grapes, at 12am .. The Swiss Fondue of 3 courses. We begin with a Kirsch Transparent Brandy of Cherries in a 7 cheese Fondue and the main is Filet Mignon and the dessert fondue is black Swiss chocolate ..

The 1st, we eat very lightly and norm is a light pasta such as linguini Puttanesca or Cannellone stuffed with fresh shellfish or a Bouilaibaisse or a Risotto Gamberi Rossi (red prawns) .. or a brunch with Gravlaux and capers with lemon and red onion slices and crudities .. And crèpes Suzette as the main entrée.

All my best wishes for a lovely holiday ..

Last edited:
:welcome: Katelin

Another Southerner! Our holiday sides are similar.

Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
Cornbread Dressing and/or Rice Dressing (a stuffing cooked on the stove top rather than in the bird)
Green Bean Casserole is typical. I am trying to perfect an asparagus artichoke heart casserole. If I get it right that will replace the green beans for Christmas.
Creamed Spinach with Artichoke Hearts and Water Chestnuts casserole
Petite Pois cooked with chicken wings and necks
Summer squash casserole or corn pudding - both very cheesy
Fruit salad
Some type of green salad

Hey.
I myself from Texas

But I travelled all over US as part of my Job and tried all the different foods, so even on holidays I try to mix and mash all styles.
Even when I am at home, I open up list of recipes and just try something new every day!
For example, today I go through the list of 25+ Casserole Recipes from here.

I recommend everyone to try out this experiment ... Although it takes time and disipline

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome neighbor. I live in south central Louisiana - Lafayette . When we travel my job is to find awesome dining. We are leaving Sunday for Nashville. Do you have any recommendationd?

Hey.
I myself from Texas

But I travelled all over US as part of my Job and tried all the different foods, so even on holidays I try to mix and mash all styles.
Even when I am at home, I open up list of recipes and just try something new every day!
For example, today I go through the list of 25+ Casserole Recipes from here.

I recommend everyone to try out this experiment ... Although it takes time and disipline

Welcome from SE Florida! This has become one of our favorite holiday sides, especially with prime rib.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/mushroom-bread-pudding.12929/

Welcome neighbor. I live in south central Louisiana - Lafayette . When we travel my job is to find awesome dining. We are leaving Sunday for Nashville. Do you have any recommendationd?

Prince's Hot Chicken Shack and of coarse the many BBQ joints there.

I don't have a set menu for Christmas, growing up it changed each year. So, it depends these days upon with whom I spend that date.

But for Thanksgiving, it would be the turkey, of course, and mother's wonderful stuffing. I do love the sweet potato casserole (minus any marshmallows or added sugar -- they have "Sweet" in their name for a reason!) We'd also have regular white potatoes, mashed. I do like the green bean casserole with the crispy onions on top. Lots of home made gravy. Cranberries would appear somewhere.

Mac and cheese never made or will make an appearance at either holiday dinner. (In fact, growing up, we only had it when the parents were going out to dinner and wanted to make something quick for us. I've never felt the love...)

While I love deviled eggs, they were never a part of either holiday. A plate of them may have shown up if it was a potluck.

Since my family hailed from Kentucky, I have no idea why cornbread never appeared at the holiday tables...

I don't have a set menu for Christmas, growing up it changed each year. So, it depends these days upon with whom I spend that date.

But for Thanksgiving, it would be the turkey, of course, and mother's wonderful stuffing. I do love the sweet potato casserole (minus any marshmallows or added sugar -- they have "Sweet" in their name for a reason!) We'd also have regular white potatoes, mashed. I do like the green bean casserole with the crispy onions on top. Lots of home made gravy. Cranberries would appear somewhere.

Mac and cheese never made or will make an appearance at either holiday dinner. (In fact, growing up, we only had it when the parents were going out to dinner and wanted to make something quick for us. I've never felt the love...)

While I love deviled eggs, they were never a part of either holiday. A plate of them may have shown up if it was a potluck.

Since my family hailed from Kentucky, I have no idea why cornbread never appeared at the holiday tables...

I have corn bread here, sent by my friend from Texas. I love it too, so does my granddaughter.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom