Food criticism ?

Well, we dined out tonight at a place we've always loved before. Not so much tonight. Craig got his usual short rib dish that was as good as usual taste wise, but was served on a plate that had 1 corner entirely chipped away plus another good size chip a couple of inches away. The plate was dark colored so the chips were quite obvious. It was a $38 USD entrée.

I got heritage pork chops and that was also a $38 USD entrée. My plate had 3 large chips around the edge. I asked for the pork chop med rare, got well, not even the faintest hint of pink even in the thick part. The thinner parts were more like well done and were quite dry. The crispy potato cubes weren't by any stretch of the imagination. I brought half of my pork chop home for the pugs. They got half and will get remainder tomorrow. Expensive pug treats!

Service was pretty bad too. We went early. When we got our food, there were 5 tables of 2 and 1 table of 4 that were in various stages of their meals, so it's not like the kitchen was slammed or the 2 waiters plus a bus person and a food runner were slammed either. It's a small place and even when busy there aren't more than 2 waiters. I had a glass of wine and was done with it well before our food arrived, and I sat the glass and carafe well out from in front of me so it was obvious they were empty. Our waiter walked by our table at least 2 times, maybe 3, but never asked if I wanted another. That has NEVER happened before. Our food arrived. Waiter didn't come to check on us until Craig was over half finished with his and I was maybe a third done with what I ate because I seriously contemplated sending it back. Eventually decided to eat it. Our plates were cleared by the bus person. After several minutes, I started the stopwatch on my phone. It was 7:38 minutes on stopwatch before waiter showed his face at our table.

I told Craig I hoped he enjoyed his short ribs because it was going to be a really long time before we go back, if ever.

Oh, our bill was $99 USD and change PLUS tip, which was not the usual amount we leave.
20230720_182847.jpg

Oh, the reddish stuff on the bottom left is a pineapple chipotle salsa, which is 1 of the reasons I got the dish. That was disappointing too, super mushy pineapple, no texture at all, and not a lot of pineapple flavor, and too much chipotle.

Last edited:
Oh dear. What a shame. The place you've always trusted and suddenly, without explanation, it nosedives. I'd let the management know asap. It might just have been a bad night, or it might just be a reason to never return.
You'd think a Pineapple Chilpotle Salsa would be a doddle to make BUT, after 15 years, day in day out, making chutneys, jams, salsas, pickles, sauces, etc, etc, which are "easy"....
I can assure you (as you probably already know) they're not. Even the simplest things, if prepared carelessly, can taste like crap..

I think there is a difference in being a guest for dinner, and getting together with a fellow foodie/home cook. My fiends who cook and I share ideas and techniques all the time. That's the kind of "critique" I'm talking about.

When my dad got interested in cooking, he made a lot of mistakes, and I told/showed him what he did wrong, and how to do it right. He was in his 70s and never did any real cooking, other ruining steaks on the grill. :laugh: So, he was receptive, and actually learned pretty fast. Sadly, as dementia slowly eased in, he lost what he learned.:(

In both of those situations, I'm talking about people who, like me, are always wanting to know new and better ways to cook, and share knowledge.

CD

BTW, I don't do restaurant reviews online. I don't trust the ones I read, either. They are heavily trolled by people who just like to mess up a restaurant's reputation for fun, and also heavily propagated with positive reviews that are from friends and employees of a restaurant.

CD

BTW, I don't do restaurant reviews online. I don't trust the ones I read, either. They are heavily trolled by people who just like to mess up a restaurant's reputation for fun, and also heavily propagated with positive reviews that are from friends and employees of a restaurant.

CD

I do review on line. In fact, have a fairly high count. I check recent reviews for new places or places we haven't been in a very long time, and ignore really bad reviews, unless there are a whole lot of them. I also ignore really low count reviewers, good or bad, because they could be friends or trolls. I've had pretty good luck doing that for the most part.

I always ask for my families opinions as it helps me tune into what really floats their boat and if I spend time cooking for them I really want to hit that mark where the OP is genuinely enjoying eating it.

I have two peeves about cooking for others. The first is when they are not honest about their dislikes. I always enquire if there’s anything they don’t really like and they say “nothing”.
I then say are you sure because if I spend time cooking I want you to enjoy it and if you don’t like for example peas I won’t serve you up a big pile of peas, so is there anything you’re not fond of?
They still say “no no I’m not fussy” then when they‘re eating you can see they really don’t like (for example) peas and are pushing them around the plate. Boil my p*ss because it’s a waste of time, energy and food!

Secondly and this is going to sound big headed so I apologise in advance because there’s no way of saying it without sounding awful! I have a reputation for being a good cook, to the extent OP have said they don’t want to invite me round and cook for us because they think they’re rubbish in comparison. This saddens me. Last time I put two days worth of prep work into a meal and the final comment was “You’re never eating at mine”
So now if I suggest we get a takeaway I get an invite, if I don’t I won’t be visiting!

This reputation I once enjoyed, I felt accomplished, I now feel is a mistake of mine and I should have made much less effort.. or got better friends 😆

Secondly and this is going to sound big headed so I apologise in advance because there’s no way of saying it without sounding awful! I have a reputation for being a good cook, to the extent OP have said they don’t want to invite me round and cook for us because they think they’re rubbish in comparison. This saddens me. Last time I put two days worth of prep work into a meal and the final comment was “You’re never eating at mine”
So now if I suggest we get a takeaway I get an invite, if I don’t I won’t be visiting!

This reputation I once enjoyed, I felt accomplished, I now feel is a mistake of mine and I should have made much less effort.. or got better friends 😆

It's not big headed. I think anybody that cooks well to very well has had that happen, unless their friends are also good cooks. It certainly has happened to us. It got to be a running joke at potluck parties that we had to bring more than anyone else because our food always got eaten first. When we would visit out of town, family would make breakfast or get pastries, picky foods/sandwiches for lunch if hungry and then all would go out for dinner or we'd cook.

It's not big headed. I think anybody that cooks well to very well has had that happen, unless their friends are also good cooks. It certainly has happened to us. It got to be a running joke at potluck parties that we had to bring more than anyone else because our food always got eaten first. When we would visit out of town, family would make breakfast or get pastries, picky foods/sandwiches for lunch if hungry and then all would go out for dinner or we'd cook.
Well that makes me kinda sad and happy at the same time 😂

I have a reputation for being a good cook, to the extent OP have said they don’t want to invite me round and cook for us because they think they’re rubbish in comparison.
I get that from some of my family, definitely, and there are others in my family who are decent cooks, but don’t like me to try their stuff, because they’re embarrassed for me to try it.

You have to understand, that in my family, I’m the super-sophisticated world traveler, as most of my family have never flown and have never traveled more than a couple of hundred miles from home, so if I make anything other than meatloaf or barbecued chicken, then it’s “exotic.”

One of my brothers (the infamous Lee) used to come out and stay the weekend with his teen kid and his wife (kid’s stepmom), and I would always plan an arrival nosh, a big Saturday meal, and something special for Sunday breakfast.

I found out a couple of years into it that Lee insisted on stopping at the McD’s 15 minutes from the house and getting himself a little something, in case I’d made something “weird,” like a tomato tart or a meat pie.

I found out a couple of years into it that Lee insisted on stopping at the McD’s 15 minutes from the house and getting himself a little something, in case I’d made something “weird,” like a tomato tart or a meat pie.

Good to know I'm not alone but that just sucks!

You have to understand, that in my family, I’m the super-sophisticated world traveler.

But you are though! You give off a (pleasant) whiff of travelled 😂 just as an example realising people are people wherever you are and letting go of preconceived notions is something travel does to you.

Or perhaps it's people who break out of the box they're born in have to have more about them, perhaps even a tad more perceptive, I don't know but my experience of the Overlander community is they do not have the same attitude as the usual sit on the sofa watching TV brigade and their experiences change them for the better.

My mum got funny with me at one point because my Dad and brothers love what I cook and she resented it. She would deliberately sabotage or criticise what I had made. I think as CD said theres a big difference between requested constructive criticism and people using it to simply be mean which sadly some people do!

My MIL indulged in a bit of it, never constructive always just that something wasn't right but I stopped it by saying "I don't understand why people think it's ok to come to your house, criticise the food you make for them when you haven't asked for their opinion, I wouldn't dream of eating at someone else's house and being anything other than grateful they made the effort to cook for me!

Not big headed at all. If you're a good cook, then you're a good cook! Congrats!
I get the same, as I'm sure many of us on this board also do. I'm delighted when I get an invite to eat at someone else's place, because they're few and far between.

In our family, the only curries we ever ate as kids were (a) Vesta (b) friday night at the Curry Inn. No pasta (apart from a tin), no Mexican, no French, no burgers - only English food, which meant veggies cooked well past their time. My bro (who was a professional chef) branched out once he left home, and so did I. Sis went to India (twice) and Thailand (twice) and ate cheese omelettes for 2 weeks.
Anyway - back on topic, On a positive note, I get calls from people asking how to cook this and how to make that. That's magic for me, so becoming a "good" cook has its perks.

In our family, the only curries we ever ate as kids were (a) Vesta (b) friday night at the Curry Inn. No pasta (apart from a tin), no Mexican, no French, no burgers - only English food, which meant veggies cooked well past their time. My bro (who was a professional chef) branched out once he left home, and so did I. Sis went to India (twice) and Thailand (twice) and ate cheese omelettes for 2 weeks.
Anyway - back on topic, On a positive note, I get calls from people asking how to cook this and how to make that. That's magic for me, so becoming a "good" cook has its perks.
Ah yes that is a nice silver lining👍
I do enjoy it when people ask me how I'd cook something or what to do with an ingredient. Sets off all sorts of ooo yum well you could...
and then you hit a combo or recipe that makes them say ooo yum too. That's a nice bit.

Yes, that happens. However, if you read through the online reviews of a place, you can easily discern which ones are trying to trash the place, and which ones are just "bootlickers". Not ALL the reviews are trolled; that's conspiracy theory. Quite a lot of people send in reviews because they genuinely like, or dislike a place. And I might ask - how do you choose a new restaurant, if you don't trust any of the reviewers?

Back
Top Bottom