Food History and Misconceptions

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
10:41 AM
As I was writing an answer to Mountain Cat about French Fries, it got me thinking.
Many foods, or food items we claim as our own... are not our own.
We Brits will assure you that Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in Glasgow, or Birmingham - when it was originally invented in Delhi and called Chicken Makhani.
You guys over the pond say "It´s as American as Apple Pie" , and yet apples are originally from Khasakstan, in Central Asia. They´re not native to North America.
Indian and Thai cooks adore their hot peppers/chiles - yet chiles originated in South America.
Italians say their San Marzano tomatoes are the best in the world. But tomatoes are from the New World - South America - not Italy.
In Indonesia, there´s a wonderful snack called perkedel - but it´s probably Dutch.
Where did the hamburger come from?
Where did Caesar Salad come from?
Lots of questions, no answers!

As I was writing an answer to Mountain Cat about French Fries, it got me thinking.
Many foods, or food items we claim as our own... are not our own.
We Brits will assure you that Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in Glasgow, or Birmingham - when it was originally invented in Delhi and called Chicken Makhani.
You guys over the pond say "It´s as American as Apple Pie" , and yet apples are originally from Khasakstan, in Central Asia. They´re not native to North America.
Indian and Thai cooks adore their hot peppers/chiles - yet chiles originated in South America.
Italians say their San Marzano tomatoes are the best in the world. But tomatoes are from the New World - South America - not Italy.
In Indonesia, there´s a wonderful snack called perkedel - but it´s probably Dutch.
Where did the hamburger come from?
Where did Caesar Salad come from?
Lots of questions, no answers!
The hamburger was invented in Ohio, LOL! About | Menches Brothers in Ohio
"History recorded that Frank & Charles Menches ran out of pork for their sausage patty sandwiches at the 1885 Erie County Fair. Their supplier, reluctant to butcher more hogs in the summer heat, suggested they use beef instead."

Well at least that's their claim. Someone from NYC said they did it first (though it wasn't on a bun), someone else from St. Louis said they did it first, and someone from Texas said that they did it first...

You kind of have to separate history and tradition. Apple pie was most certainly not invented in the USA, but it has become a major food tradition here.

Chicken Fried Steak is a Texas tradition that was most likely created in Texas by the many German immigrants to Texas as an offshoot of schnitzel.

Before the European explorers came to the Americas, I don't think Italy even had tomatoes, but when they did get them, the Italians wasted no time making them a centerpiece of their cooking.

We know the origins of Pizza, but there are several pizza traditions. A pizza Margherita in Napoli is must have. I've heard the same about Roman and Sicilian pizza. A traditional NY City slice is a must have. I've heard that a Newhaven CT pizza is must have, as well as Detroit pizza.

I doubt the history of the burger will ever be settled. But, here in the USA, there are a bunch of regional styles that are worth trying. Check out George Motz on the Burger Scholar Sessions. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app=desktop&list=PLAzrgbu8gEMIkFTtpY-Vn0Kjj_LQ0pE0M

CD

Back
Top Bottom