Food vs Politics

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
4:57 PM
Just listening to the sad news about Paris and we were thinking if the world spent more time worrying about food and less about politics we would all live in a safer place. After all politics and leaders of any sort are fleeting - food goes on forever.

I agree it is so sad that so many people have been harmed in Paris. Breaking bread together does help to heal more than fighting.

Everything is political. The food we eat is political; where it is sourced, how it is grown, what company sells it, every single aspect.
Possibly true but I must admit I've never heard of milk bombs or a gun that fires noodles and the idea of a chocolate grenade seems quite tasty somehow. If people could be taught to be proud of their countries cuisine instead of it's borders - that really would be something to look forward to. Swap recipes not bullets - may never happen I admit but it's a wonderful idea

Possibly true but I must admit I've never heard of milk bombs or a gun that fires noodles and the idea of a chocolate grenade seems quite tasty somehow. If people could be taught to be proud of their countries cuisine instead of it's borders - that really would be something to look forward to. Swap recipes not bullets - may never happen I admit but it's a wonderful idea

Love this! Good food is absolutely something to celebrate and bond over! It would be wonderful if people made a dedicated effort to celebrate and share their differences rather than finding things to disagree about.

Love this! Good food is absolutely something to celebrate and bond over! It would be wonderful if people made a dedicated effort to celebrate and share their differences rather than finding things to disagree about.
I am sure we all hope for this but sadly that's not the world that exist. Milk bombs and and guns that fire noodles sound great depending on what I am wearing that day.

One should not confuse politics with war. Politics, while often dirty, rarely descends into killing.

It's nice to think that we could be united by food, but even this is doubtful; I've been sneered at (on another forum) for the hideous crime of being a vegetarian.

One should not confuse politics with war. Politics, while often dirty, rarely descends into killing.

It's nice to think that we could be united by food, but even this is doubtful; I've been sneered at (on another forum) for the hideous crime of being a vegetarian.
So long as people don't try and impose their beliefs, whatever they are, on me I'll do likewise.
Each to their own.

Actually I find that politics usually IS the cause of war. In fact I don't actually know of any wars that were not either inspired, justified or even wholly instigated by politicians [or indeed any form of leader with a strange little agenda of their own].
As for being united by food I accept that it is simply a happy dream but that doesn't make it any less something to be dreamed of.
We may never see the day of the chocolate grenade but wouldn't it be wonderful ?:rolleyes: [OK it might be bad for the waistline].

Sneered at for being a vegetarian? Surely you're jesting. Do invite them to Cooking Bites where we have Chocolate Grenades and Guinness fights.:banghead::banghead:

Sneered at for being a vegetarian? Surely you're jesting. Do invite them to Cooking Bites where we have Chocolate Grenades and Guinness fights.:banghead::banghead:

Republican Tea Party types...a kind of "real men don't eat quiche" view. That's fine - I have no desire to own a gun or be a five star bigot. I'm quite content being a bleeding-heart liberal tree-hugger, thanks.

As I feared this is getting way too deep. As a matter of interest 'bigotry' goes both ways I have been labelled a 'corpse cruncher' [not sure where that came from] and even a 'murderer' [it's true really] for eating meat by hard line vegetarians who constantly spout the 'benefits' of vegetables and how eating meat is 'damaging' the planet. [NOT on here I must add but they really are out there and seemingly more numerous than you might believe with a big fat [vegetarian of course] chip on their shoulder]. Personally I believe the planet is in much greater danger from other sources than cow and sheep 'gasses'.
Not too sure why owning a gun is relevant although I admit I would LOVE to go clay pigeon [is that called 'skeet' ? In the USA] shooting. So maybe that would make me some kind of gun toting maniac ?
Republican ? Again why - are there no other bigots ?
I believe EVERYBODY should be proud of their country, their history [and NO country or people has a perfect record so no "Oh we must apologise for ---- " the past is past, constant sniping about past bad deeds only breeds unrest and eventually hatred - move forward on the good bits] their faith [if they have one] and above all their food. If you have no real understanding of your own culture how can you possibly understand and accept someone else's ?
Some years ago we spent a little time in the middle east and found the food [and the people - but this is a food forum] fascinating but thanks to a few the chances of us ever going back are now more or less zero.
. Do invite them to Cooking Bites where we have Chocolate Grenades and Guinness fights.:banghead::banghead:
And I 100% agree - we may never change the world but as I said before that doesn't stop it being a dream. Bring on the guinness

Back
Top Bottom