Foods not to refrigerate

Abolarin

Veteran
Local time
12:15 PM
1. Tomatoes

If tomatoes are kept in sunlight they will ripen too fast. If they are kept in cold temperature, it will cause the cell walls to break down and then they become soft and mushy. So for best results, store them out of direct sunlight and at room temperature.

2. Bananas

Like tomatoes, bananas also like to be stored at room temperature. If you are trying to delay the ripening process, refrigerate them. Beware that this will cause the skin to turn brown. However, the inside should still be edible.

3. Potatoes

Refrigeration will cause the skin of the potato to darken and go bad quicker. It also converts the potato starch into sugar, making it sweeter, but not in a good way. It’s recommended to store them in a cool, dry place.

4. Onions

Onions tend to like fresh air circulation. That’s why they are sold in a mesh bag. But don’t keep them near your potatoes because a chemical reaction will take place. That will create and release gases and moisture that will turn your onions bad.

Please add as much as possible. Cheers

I am accustomed to keeping all of my vegetables in the refrigerator except for potatoes and onions. If I buy tomatoes that are fairly ripe, I would put them in the refrigerator rather than keep them outside to ripen even more. I have discovered, however, that they have to be used up quickly otherwise they would get too soft.

I never put bananas in the refrigerator, although I find that they tend to ripen fairly quickly and should not be stored in too hot a place.

One thing I was not aware of is that keeping onions near potatoes would cause a chemical reaction to take place which would make the onions go bad. I have a habit of keeping my potatoes and onions in the same vegetable tray together. So, now I know that I should separate them.

Thank you for sharing this post. I always keep my tomatoes in the refrigerator because I thought that that was the best way to keep them fresh for a long time. I guess I am wrong. :O

Unfortunately, except perhaps for onions, we put all the things you've mentioned inside the fridge. There are a lot of random bugs and fruit flies here and it's almost impossible to keep them away from fresh fruits and vegetables. So our only option to keep them at bay is to place fruits and vegetables inside the refrigerator. Perhaps I'll just look for a large container that seals tightly.

Foods not to refrigerate continues...
1 Garlic

Again garlic, similar to onions like air circulation too. Research says cold air can cause the garlic to sprout early causing it to go bad. Plus, it keeps the odor off your other food.

2. Avocados

If you want your avocado to ripen naturally you should leave it outside the refrigerator. Only if you are trying to postpone its ripeness, then keep in the refrigerator. And if you are trying to save an already cut avocado, refrigerate the half with the seed. It will keep longer that way.

3. Honey

Honey is one of the earth’s oldest known preservatives. It’s been known to be discovered in Egyptian tombs and the honey is still edible. Wow, its shelf life is for forever. If refrigerated, it becomes crystallized and even harder to use.

4. Hot Sauces

Have you ever noticed that hot sauce is always not refrigerated at restaurants? That’s because it doesn’t have to be. Especially if it is vinegar based which most hot sauces are. By refrigerating, it causes it to lose flavor and change the consistency.

Expecting more from you guys. Cheers

1. Tomatoes

If tomatoes are kept in sunlight they will ripen too fast. If they are kept in cold temperature, it will cause the cell walls to break down and then they become soft and mushy. So for best results, store them out of direct sunlight and at room temperature.

2. Bananas

Like tomatoes, bananas also like to be stored at room temperature. If you are trying to delay the ripening process, refrigerate them. Beware that this will cause the skin to turn brown. However, the inside should still be edible.

3. Potatoes

Refrigeration will cause the skin of the potato to darken and go bad quicker. It also converts the potato starch into sugar, making it sweeter, but not in a good way. It’s recommended to store them in a cool, dry place.

4. Onions

Onions tend to like fresh air circulation. That’s why they are sold in a mesh bag. But don’t keep them near your potatoes because a chemical reaction will take place. That will create and release gases and moisture that will turn your onions bad.

Please add as much as possible. Cheers

Out of those 4 things, the only one that I DON'T store in the fridge is bananas.

Potatoes & sweet potatoes tend to spoil faster in my kitchen, especially during the torridly hot summer!!

To me, perishables are perishables, and to keep any of them out for too long, it's like inviting trouble to knock on your door!!! :eek:

Last edited:
My mom keeps onions and tomatoes in the fridge and I remember when I used to cook with those ingredients. Admittedly, once the food is cooked, it isn't that noticeable, but still I think it's much better off otherwise. Bread is also something that I feel like the fridge won't be able to help out much, but I'm guessing it at least prolongs the life a bit more albeit degrading its quality somewhat.

Well, when it comes to onions, I would normally leave them outside until they are cut. If I am using a fairly large onion, I would cut off half the onion which I am going to use and store the other half in the fridge. Even though I usually keep carrots in the fridge, I believe they can also be kept outside at room temperature. Sweet potatoes would be kept outside except they are cut, in which case I would store the unused portion in the fridge. I find that bread keeps longer if kept in the fridge also, especially in the hot months.

Foods not to refrigerate continues...
1. Watermelons
When a melon ends up in your own home, it should be stored out of direct sunlight in the kitchen. This will allow it to ripen and gain sweetness. Only after it is cut, should it be refrigerated to prolong its perfect ripeness.

2. Fruit

All fruits should be ripened at room temperature. Only if you are trying to keep them longer should you refrigerate. By leaving them out, they ripen and sweeten at their own pace which will allow the fruit to be at its best.

3. Spices

Spices do not benefit from refrigeration by any means. The humidity and coldness can diminish its flavor. Most spices can last for years in your home. But don’t forget to check expiration dates often.
More to come. Cheers

I always have onions in my fridge. If they are not near any potatoes so is there any reason why I should not keep them in the fridge?

I never put garlic in the fridge, or any type of fresh fruit.

I appreciate this post because I was refrigerating my tomatoes and then wondering why they would get mushy so quickly. I do refrigerate hot sauce because it freaks me out when the green pepper solids separate and the sauce starts to look green. I know it's irrational but I feel better keeping hot sauce in the fridge because it doesn't separate or change colors.

When that happens, I put them in the blender, along with a few other things and make some hot soup!

The one that I have is so powerful that you won't even SEE the skin from them, let alone taste it!!

This is an interesting list of things. I am guilty of storing my tomatoes in the refrigerator most times. Recently I delayed refrigerating the tomatoes that came from my garden because they were green. There are a few other things I store in the fridge as well that are mentioned here. Watermelon is one such thing along with most other fruits.

I guess I have to do things differently.

I think in warmer climates, refrigerating food is used more to extend its life! Here in the UK we don't need to refrigerate a lot of what we do simply because life is not as warm, but if we get a hot summer even apples go into the fridge! However, I have also been known to use a fridge to keep things warm here in the UK... It is surprising how hard milk is to get out of its container when it is frozen! :laugh:

I've definitely put tomatoes in the fridge, but that is usually because I don't want them to ripen any more. I often get them already fully ripe though.

I do store my honey in the fridge, and yes it is harder to use, but my reason for doing so is not preventing the honey from going bad, it's preventing the ants from finding it. I have had many problems with ants and they seem to find honey no matter how clean I try to keep the kitchen. Putting it in the fridge stops the problem.

Back
Top Bottom