Foods not to refrigerate

I've definitely put tomatoes in the fridge, but that is usually because I don't want them to ripen any more. I often get them already fully ripe though.

I do store my honey in the fridge, and yes it is harder to use, but my reason for doing so is not preventing the honey from going bad, it's preventing the ants from finding it. I have had many problems with ants and they seem to find honey no matter how clean I try to keep the kitchen. Putting it in the fridge stops the problem.
We have had similar issues with ants and slugs over the years, not to mention mice so everything had to be in tins, jars or sealed containers. Jams & honey plus items such as syrups, all get double jarred because our fridge is just not big enough. This year the problem was mice, and even the fruit bowl was not safe!

I feel a small bit like a moron. I'd completely forgotten for a few months now that I'm not supposed to refrigerate tomatoes! Well, at least now I know why they were useless, soft, and mushy so soon after getting them all the time. Well, the lesson has been learned. Really though, I should have known to remember.

This is an excellent thread and well worth looking at. I have been told that bananas should it be put with other fruits, as they contain I think phenol? Which ripens
Other fruit very quickly and in fact causes other fruit to rot.

This is an excellent thread and well worth looking at. I have been told that bananas should it be put with other fruits, as they contain I think phenol? Which ripens
Other fruit very quickly and in fact causes other fruit to rot.
Hence why you keep bananas away from other fruits by hanging them on their own banana stand rather than lying them across the test of the fruit in the fruit bowl.
Kitchenware_Banana_stand.jpg

Back
Top Bottom