Foods that taste better the next day(s)?

Not really, though I will make a full (or double) recipe expressly to have more for the next day.

The beef stew I just made is an example. I would have normally halved any soup recipe, and that way, not really have to worry too much about leftovers, but beef stew is always better the next day, so I doubled it. We had it for supper that night and it tasted great, but when we had it again the next night, it was phenomenal, and I was still able to freeze some for later.

Curries nearly always taste better the next day! It gives the layers of spices time to really work their magic. I do very often make curries to be eaten the next day. This gives me time to photograph them the day before too without rushing. I think probably chillis also benefit from being left.

A cool thread!

Beans, in a stew, I was told always taste better the longer they stay. Never made them in advance on purpose, bit good to have on hand.

Sarma is also tasting better the next day, I find.

Some cakes. Cakes layered with cream. Actually, I think I will prepare the triple Bday cake tomorrow, to be eaten Sunday...

"French"salad was a salad my folks would prepare a day before NYE...and it does taste good days after, but rarely was there any left😄

This the salad, technically it is probably slaw? Don't know. Some call it Russian. Some add ham. Some omit pickled cucumbers.

Francuska salata – Fini Recepti by Crochef

There are many examples where letting prepared foods set for a day, or even longer, to allow saturation of elements to take place, if not, for certain chemical processes to take place. Marinades are an example. Allowing dough to leaven is another. And there are many more examples, especially where spices are involved.

absolute - many dishes I insist on making ahead.

chili - any variety
stews - usually eaten fresh but better after aging
cucumber/onion salad - aka German Gurkensalat
beef/pork 'pulled' dishes - braise/chill/re-braise
pork chops in sauerkraut
savory breakfast casserole(s) - slant layers of bread, smoked salmon, etc, drown in egg custard

heaps and piles of things - right down to some pretty mundane stuff like a dressy franks&beans casserole....

I don't make recipes specifically for the next day (at least not because they will taste better then) - although when I've had a bunch of company back in the day when one COULD have a bunch of company, I'd get the things cooked the day before that could be out of my way. I will make extra of dishes that I plan to eat two or three days into the future, but I do tend to want to eat some of what I just made rather than waiting around for a second day, if the goal is because it will taste better then.

Stews and various things that marinate fall into that category.

I always make potato salad the day before it is to be eaten. It takes that time for the flavors to meld together. That is also great if you have guests coming for dinner. You can get the potato salad out of the way the day before, so there is less to do the day of the dinner.

Lot's of soups and stews taste better the next day, although I don't intentionally make them a day early. I also love to snack on leftover fried chicken, cold from the fridge -- same with Buffalo wings.

I wonder... if I were to eat day-old curry, would I actually like it? :laugh:

CD

I always make potato salad the day before it is to be eaten. It takes that time for the flavors to meld together. That is also great if you have guests coming for dinner. You can get the potato salad out of the way the day before, so there is less to do the day of the dinner.

Lot's of soups and stews taste better the next day, although I don't intentionally make them a day early. I also love to snack on leftover fried chicken, cold from the fridge -- same with Buffalo wings.

I wonder... if I were to eat day-old curry, would I actually like it? :laugh:

CD

I honestly can't believe you don't like a curry? Maybe just not one made properly, I never had a curry until 20 years ago my daughter shouted me out. Man the flavours just overtook me. I believe there's something addictive in the curry. It's seriously addictive, well a good one is. I don't know anyone apart from you that doesn't like a curry. Even my grandson when asked for his birthday dinner his choice is butter chicken, and he's 8.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom