Foods that taste better the next day(s)?

I always make potato salad the day before it is to be eaten. It takes that time for the flavors to meld together. That is also great if you have guests coming for dinner. You can get the potato salad out of the way the day before, so there is less to do the day of the dinner.

Lot's of soups and stews taste better the next day, although I don't intentionally make them a day early. I also love to snack on leftover fried chicken, cold from the fridge -- same with Buffalo wings.

I wonder... if I were to eat day-old curry, would I actually like it? :laugh:

CD

One thing I can't make is a good potato salad, I've a perfect slaw, salads except a potato one.
What's your secret please?

Russ

I honestly can't believe you don't like a curry? Maybe just not one made properly, I never had a curry until 20 years ago my daughter shouted me out. Man the flavours just overtook me. I believe there's something addictive in the curry. It's seriously addictive, well a good one is. I don't know anyone apart from you that doesn't like a curry. Even my grandson when asked for his birthday dinner his choice is butter chicken, and he's 8.

Russ

Yeah, yeah. My friends who like curries say the same thing. "You just haven't had good curry." Then they drag me to an Indian restaurant, telling me, "I'm going to love it." I don't "love" it, and they tell me there is something wrong with me. Blah, blah, blah.

CD

I agree that chilli con carne and most curries taste better (and usually spicier) the next day or thereafter. However, I don't purposely prepare them specifically for the following day.

If I cook a beef stew, after the beef and onions are almost cooked, I'll portion it up and freeze other than one portion to which I'll then add the carrots and potatoes et al.

Bubble and squeak (aka colcannon/rumbledethumps) definitely needs to spend overnight in the fridge though.

Last edited:
Lot's of soups (...) taste better the next day, although I don't intentionally make them a day early.

CD
That's a big discussion in the kitchen, there are chefs who would agree with you without hesitating, other chefs would discuss you to death over special aromas that are gone in the next day.
Stay healthy

One thing I can't make is a good potato salad, I've a perfect slaw, salads except a potato one.
What's your secret please?

Russ

Alright.

About four or five potatoes, depending on size. (and an egg) Boil in pan, actually turn them over now and then. When done you got the idea before, rub off the skin and then cut them up.

Throw out the water and put cut up spuds in pan. Now finely chop ike ofur stalks of celery, fvie if you like the stuff. These need to be cut finely, this means you must cut the atks lengthwise into small sections of that radius. The goal is a bit smaller than ¼".

Cut up a whole medium onion and try to make it as fine, I know some onions dont take to that with the thick layers but if that is the case it is not the end of the world.

Salt the potatoes a bit, very lightly would be best as it does not need it right now. Liberally apply celery seed to the potatoes, if you only have celery salt, omit the salt - you just put in...(look the celery stuff of course first)

Mix all this together, Then put in mayo, and this depends, just put a bunch on, and also squirt or otherwise throw in mustard, about a third of the mayo. Mix all. If you need more mayo etc. put it in.

Dice up the boiled egg and throw it in, mi it up. If you want a snazzy one for the top to show off boil another one.

Your call this point - you can put paprika in it now and mix it in or you can just sprinkle it on at the table. (or both)

This is THE simplest recipe out there. There are recommended additions.

For one Worcestershire sauce. If you like salty then Soy sauce.

Some would say dill but the lack of dill is one of things that makes it better I think. That store boughten junk had dill, and then counters it with sugar. Some of it doesnt even use any recognizable ingredients, read the label. I will not harp on the health thing but the stuff simply is not food ! Like by a nuclear plant, try some of that water, oh hello three eyed fish. not food.

But this is the simplest.

Grow from there. If you go radical you woulldn't be the first monster I have created.

T

Alright.

About four or five potatoes, depending on size. (and an egg) Boil in pan, actually turn them over now and then. When done you got the idea before, rub off the skin and then cut them up.

Throw out the water and put cut up spuds in pan. Now finely chop ike ofur stalks of celery, fvie if you like the stuff. These need to be cut finely, this means you must cut the atks lengthwise into small sections of that radius. The goal is a bit smaller than ¼".

Cut up a whole medium onion and try to make it as fine, I know some onions dont take to that with the thick layers but if that is the case it is not the end of the world.

Salt the potatoes a bit, very lightly would be best as it does not need it right now. Liberally apply celery seed to the potatoes, if you only have celery salt, omit the salt - you just put in...(look the celery stuff of course first)

Mix all this together, Then put in mayo, and this depends, just put a bunch on, and also squirt or otherwise throw in mustard, about a third of the mayo. Mix all. If you need more mayo etc. put it in.

Dice up the boiled egg and throw it in, mi it up. If you want a snazzy one for the top to show off boil another one.

Your call this point - you can put paprika in it now and mix it in or you can just sprinkle it on at the table. (or both)

This is THE simplest recipe out there. There are recommended additions.

For one Worcestershire sauce. If you like salty then Soy sauce.

Some would say dill but the lack of dill is one of things that makes it better I think. That store boughten junk had dill, and then counters it with sugar. Some of it doesnt even use any recognizable ingredients, read the label. I will not harp on the health thing but the stuff simply is not food ! Like by a nuclear plant, try some of that water, oh hello three eyed fish. not food.

But this is the simplest.

Grow from there. If you go radical you woulldn't be the first monster I have created.

T

Ok celery is hated by my wife but cut small like you say I might get away with it.

Thanks a lot.

Russ

I honestly can't believe you don't like a curry? Maybe just not one made properly, I never had a curry until 20 years ago my daughter shouted me out. Man the flavours just overtook me. I believe there's something addictive in the curry. It's seriously addictive, well a good one is. I don't know anyone apart from you that doesn't like a curry. Even my grandson when asked for his birthday dinner his choice is butter chicken, and he's 8.

Russ
Who knows, maybe asian Indian food in Texas isn't common. Most restaurants that aren't actual indian use a generic curry powder that is ambiguous at best and that generic flavour is common and not very good. In Toronto for example there is a very large population from India and the curry available has gotten much better in restaurants since the 70's (yes, I'm an old guy :happy:) and now we have an Indian cuisine that rivals the best outside of India. Like Britian, we've embraced a good curry and now it would be very difficult to find someone who didn't like curry. An we also know a good curry when we taste one, so it better be authentic for starters.

Who knows, maybe asian Indian food in Texas isn't common. Most restaurants that aren't actual indian use a generic curry powder that is ambiguous at best and that generic flavour is common and not very good. In Toronto for example there is a very large population from India and the curry available has gotten much better in restaurants since the 70's (yes, I'm an old guy :happy:) and now we have an Indian cuisine that rivals the best outside of India. Like Britian, we've embraced a good curry and now it would be very difficult to find someone who didn't like curry. An we also know a good curry when we taste one, so it better be authentic for starters.

Back in the 90s (and likely before) my sister wouldn't even touch the "muck" (as she called it). Her son, my nephew, eventually got her to eat butter chicken and thereafter, she hardly left curries alone.

Back in the 90s (and likely before) my sister wouldn't even touch the "muck" (as she called it). Her son, my nephew, eventually got her to eat butter chicken and thereafter, she hardly left curries alone.
I know eh! Fortunately for me I spent some time in India and did a little cooking there as well. What a country and what a cuisine.

Back
Top Bottom