Foods That You Should Never Put In The Refrigerator

Good points!

Early on in my relationship with my caregiver I had a very bad moment. I fell apart missing my children so much. I cried for hours and it made me sick. She got down on the bathroom floor and just held me. I told her that can't breathe without my babies, every single day was painful and I couldn't handle much more. I point that out because I want to make it clear that I NEVER said I was suicidal.

Fast forward about two months. We were in the kitchen and I opened a chicken package to cut it up. She asked me how long it had been in the sink. I told her that I took it out that morning about 5A. I was curious so I asked her why she asked me that and said "You said you don't want to be without your children and I wanted to make sure it didn't go bad." I paused for a second trying to make that make sense in my head and finally said "One, I'm not suicidal. Two, if I was suicidal, I wouldn't make it a slow death with bad chicken." She never questioned me like that again. I love her to death but she is a COMPLETE whackadoodle about stuff NOT being in the fridge.

My ex was a nutso about freezer stuff. He said that I was going to kill our children by cooking food from the freezer. Um, dude, I managed to keep you and myself alive for the thirteen years BEFORE we had kids and, guess what, they were still alive! Every now and again, he would flip out and come to the house and throw away everything in my freezer "to protect the kids". ROTF.

My apartment is small but it's perfect for me and I get to keep whatever I want in my fridge, freezer and on the counters!

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:
Yeah, I think your caregiver was overreacting a little. Death by spoiled chicken has to be the least effective way to do yourself in! :laugh: 😵

I don't even get your ex. The freezer is there for a reason, and it's perfectly safe to cook from it. I'll admit I'm a little overly-cautious at times, but I think he was the whackadoodle for thinking that. :laugh:

Yeah, I think your caregiver was overreacting a little. Death by spoiled chicken has to be the least effective way to do yourself in! :laugh: 😵

I don't even get your ex. The freezer is there for a reason, and it's perfectly safe to cook from it. I'll admit I'm a little overly-cautious at times, but I think he was the whackadoodle for thinking that. :laugh:
You are too funny!

I had a chest freezer and the one with the fridge. I bought the chest freezer because we had an upright at the kids left the door open when grabbing popsicles one afternoon. I was on a group for people who used freezers so I always worked with a FIFO rotation. It's a little bit more work to do with a chest freezer but I got the hang of it.

How are you overly-cautious with your freezer(s)?

Our bench has fruit on it, butter is in pantry, cuces go in the fridge. Tomatoes also on the bench or if ripening too quick I freeze for sauce later.

Russ

Reactions: mjd
Our bench has fruit on it, butter is in pantry, cuces go in the fridge. Tomatoes also on the bench or if ripening too quick I freeze for sauce later.

Russ
Butter in the pantry? Does pantry mean something different in your part of the world? Here it's a closet type thing in the kitchen (built-in or on wheels). It's not cold inside it. Doesn't the butter melt?

Butter in the pantry? Does pantry mean something different in your part of the world? Here it's a closet type thing in the kitchen (built-in or on wheels). It's not cold inside it. Doesn't the butter melt?

Pantry is next to fridge freezer, just stuff we use every day. I have a hallway one as well, quite big. This is in kitchen here.

Russ

You can Se it's not big but it has everything I need. Top shelf tea coffee etc, curry spices peanut butter marmalade etc
Next butter sauces stocks etc
Cereals in next one.
Fly spray and steak knives on fridge. Should have moved them, I like rustic,lol.

Russ

Reactions: mjd
How are you overly-cautious with your freezer(s)?
Not with the freezer per se, but just with use by dates and food spoilage and all that. I'm not obsessive about it, but I'm probably more careful than most (though I am getting better).

There was a time when I'd look at the use by date (not the sell by or best by, those are different), and I'd throw things out a few days ahead of that, just to be safe. I don't do that anymore. :)
It's not cold inside it. Doesn't the butter melt?
My wife is from upstate NY, like way up past Lake Placid, on the shores of Lake Champlain, and except for a few weeks in August, you never really had to refrigerate the butter up there. It was always cool enough in the house to keep it out.

Down here in Ohio, you've got to be careful starting about now, or it'll melt.

You can Se it's not big but it has everything I need. Top shelf tea coffee etc, curry spices peanut butter marmalade etc
Next butter sauces stocks etc
Cereals in next one.
Fly spray and steak knives on fridge. Should have moved them, I like rustic,lol.

Russ
Do you want me to come there to strangle you?!!! Tell me HOW you keep butter from melting in a pantry.

Do you want me to come there to strangle you?!!! Tell me HOW you keep butter from melting in a pantry.
I keep butter out on the counter in one of those little butter crocks that hold cold water to keep it from melting, but in July and August, I really have to keep an eye on it.

Not with the freezer per se, but just with use by dates and food spoilage and all that. I'm not obsessive about it, but I'm probably more careful than most (though I am getting better).

There was a time when I'd look at the use by date (not the sell by or best by, those are different), and I'd throw things out a few days ahead of that, just to be safe. I don't do that anymore. :)

My wife is from upstate NY, like way up past Lake Placid, on the shores of Lake Champlain, and except for a few weeks in August, you never really had to refrigerate the butter up there. It was always cool enough in the house to keep it out.

Down here in Ohio, you've got to be careful starting about now, or it'll melt.
Oh, I see. Yes, I'm good about those dates. A couple years back I helped a neighbor clean her kitchen. She had a 5 lb bag of shredded cheese in her fridge. I mistook it for a bag of greens because there was so much mold on it. You wouldn't believe all the stuff that was YEARS past the dates. Yuck.

On the other hand I'm horrible about doing that with my medications. I just threw away an inhaler that expired last year. My asthma is calmer in the winter months so it's not like I use them all the time.

Ah, I'll see if that's Russ' deal. I was born and raised in Chicago and my parents and grandparents never left butter out.

Oh, I see. Yes, I'm good about those dates. A couple years back I helped a neighbor clean her kitchen. She had a 5 lb bag of shredded cheese in her fridge. I mistook it for a bag of greens because there was so much mold on it. You wouldn't believe all the stuff that was YEARS past the dates. Yuck.

On the other hand I'm horrible about doing that with my medications. I just threw away an inhaler that expired last year. My asthma is calmer in the winter months so it's not like I use them all the time.

Ah, I'll see if that's Russ' deal. I was born and raised in Chicago and my parents and grandparents never left butter out.

My mum and her mum kept butter in a pantry type cupboard. Flies are a nuisance here in summer. I'm weird about flies on my food.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom