Foods That You Should Never Put In The Refrigerator

Someone mentioned eggs.

i read somewhere that if you never refrigerate them from the tme they're layed you don't have to. But once you do you have to always refrgerate them.

I don't know why nor did I check to see if this is even accurate, perhaps someone knows ?

T

Someone mentioned eggs.

i read somewhere that if you never refrigerate them from the tme they're layed you don't have to. But once you do you have to always refrgerate them.

I don't know why nor did I check to see if this is even accurate, perhaps someone knows ?

T
I've always heard that too.

Someone mentioned eggs.

T
Yes, it is recommended once refrigerated, keep them that way always. This is because of the condensation that usually forms on the eggs raised up so many degrees - this condensation plays havoc on the egg "bloom" - the protective coating that comes with an egg when laid. Also why if you wash the eggs upon gathering, they need to be refrigerated after. (I only wash mine just before I deliver them to the community center where I sell them, since they will be dropped into the fridge there.)

The American USDA requires washing (and hence, refrigerating) prior to sale. Most places in Europe have alternate requirements. No pre-wash, no refrigeration. I have some egg purchasers who want the eggs room-temperature and counter-ready, but this will be on a person to person basis. Not something for a sale at my local community center.

PS. this condensation thing is why I choose to fridge eggs laid near freezing temps. Even if I don't wash any of my own until I'm personally going to eat them... !

Yes, it is recommended once refrigerated, keep them that way always. This is because of the condensation that usually forms on the eggs raised up so many degrees - this condensation plays havoc on the egg "bloom" - the protective coating that comes with an egg when laid. Also why if you wash the eggs upon gathering, they need to be refrigerated after. (I only wash mine just before I deliver them to the community center where I sell them, since they will be dropped into the fridge there.)

The American USDA requires washing (and hence, refrigerating) prior to sale. Most places in Europe have alternate requirements. No pre-wash, no refrigeration. I have some egg purchasers who want the eggs room-temperature and counter-ready, but this will be on a person to person basis. Not something for a sale at my local community center.

PS. this condensation thing is why I choose to fridge eggs laid near freezing temps. Even if I don't wash any of my own until I'm personally going to eat them... !
Very informative. Thanks for sharing! ;-)

I have yet to turn on the air conditioning and temperatures during this heat wave reached into the 80s indoors. Outside was in the 100s.

My bananas suffered most, cooking in the storage stand and in one case, getting moldy. I had to freeze them. I will use them for smoothies.

It seems 70 degrees is a good average temperature for having bananas out in the dry air, but as it get's hotter, they have problems. I've seen similar problems with sweet potatoes as well, last summer.

Be advised, watch your stuff that you store in the open air.

My life would spontaneously end if I didn't have ketchup.

I have always wondered why we put eggs in the fridge. I do it but I don't have a reason for it other than my mother and grandmothers did it.

Eggs right out of the chicken do not normally need refrigeration, because they have a coating on them from the hen. Grocery store eggs are thoroughly washed, which removes the coating, allowing bacteria to penetrate the shell. Other countries also vaccinate chickens against salmonella, while the US does not require that, but washing fresh eggs is required.

CD

I have yet to turn on the air conditioning and temperatures during this heat wave reached into the 80s indoors. Outside was in the 100s.

My bananas suffered most, cooking in the storage stand and in one case, getting moldy. I had to freeze them. I will use them for smoothies.

It seems 70 degrees is a good average temperature for having bananas out in the dry air, but as it get's hotter, they have problems. I've seen similar problems with sweet potatoes as well, last summer.

Be advised, watch your stuff that you store in the open air.

Very ripe frozen bananas make great banana bread too. In fact, I have some defrosted and plan on making banana bread later today.

Very ripe frozen bananas make great banana bread too. In fact, I have some defrosted and plan on making banana bread later today.

Odd? I too, was thinking about making some banana nut bread, possibly with dark chocolate in it. :giggle:

Let them drain in a mesh strainer, reduce the liquid some, let it cool and use as part of the liquid for the banana bread. That is an ATK or Cook's Country trick/tip.

The Summer heat waves are over and I again, feel comfortable putting bananas and other things into my open air storage basket stand. I have been freezing my bananas and using them only for smoothies for more than a few weeks.

full.jpg

Eggs right out of the chicken do not normally need refrigeration, because they have a coating on them from the hen. Grocery store eggs are thoroughly washed, which removes the coating, allowing bacteria to penetrate the shell. Other countries also vaccinate chickens against salmonella, while the US does not require that, but washing fresh eggs is required.

CD

When my wife buys free range duck eggs from the market they are covered* in excreta so she always washes them and they are thereafter refrigerated. When duck eggs are not available she buys chicken eggs from the supermarket. These are also refrigerated.

*not fully covered.

Back
Top Bottom