Foods you can eat after their expiry date

I've treated the sell by & use by dates as a means of the manufacturer covering themselves.
Next month will see the biggest waste of food that has reached either of these dates, followed by a similar one the week after.

Why does bottled water, sold on the marketing of it having taking thousands of years to reach the surface, have a use by date?

I've treated the sell by & use by dates as a means of the manufacturer covering themselves.
Next month will see the biggest waste of food that has reached either of these dates, followed by a similar one the week after.

Why does bottled water, sold on the marketing of it having taking thousands of years to reach the surface, have a use by date?
So true. Christmas (perhaps also Thanksgiving, which is this month in the US) is probably the most wasteful time of year - not only for food.

And the week after Christmas, you can't get in the stores for the number of returners.
And often it's simple things like not realising it needed charging/plugging in. Been there, done that.

And often it's simple things like not realising it needed charging/plugging in. Been there, done that.
No. This is people returning unopened stuff. Here it is buy all kinds of stuff for everyone, then the day after Christmas return it because you don't need it.
Not plug or charge stuff.
Or another common one is small appliances. Open, use for the holidays, return.

I don't think there is anything that I wouldn't happily eat after its best before date even with my old diet.

are safe to eat after the expiry date. Do you eat foods after their sell by

Mind you , you are switching between the expiry date and the sell by date and they are 2 very different things? And on top of that, the article itself refers to the best before date, the expiry date and the use by date!

At least they do go in to detail over what all three actually mean!

Nowadays you will often see 2 dates on fresh produce. The sell by date and the best before date.

Given that I don't eat meat or fish or anything like that, it really isn't that much of a problem for me, even when I consumed dairy. I just work with what it looks like, smells like, tastes like and so on. I actually haven't ever had a problem with this approach!

I think lots of people confuse the best before date and the sell by/use by dates and don't really understand the difference. Best before is just the manufacturer saying the food is guaranteed to be in peak condition (taste, colour, texture) until this date but it'll still be good to eat afterwards....you usually see it on long life products like tins and packets. I totally ignore this date :happy:, the only caveat is on tinned food you need to check for no damage on the tin. I've on TV where they've opened up 30 year old tinned fish to test it - its was perfectly safe and in fact nutritionally identical to a "fresh" tin.

Use by and sell by have more meaning when it comes to the actual food safety and we should actually pay attention to them. But I believe that there is a large margin of safety included in the dates though....so I trust my eyes and nose (and occasionally my tongue) before making a decision on whether to eat them. I've not made anyone sick yet :giggle:

I don't think there is anything that I wouldn't happily eat after its best before date even with my old diet.
Mind you , you are switching between the expiry date and the sell by date and they are 2 very different things? And on top of that, the article itself refers to the best before date, the expiry date and the use by date!

Sorry, I'm guilty of blurring expiry and sell by - when I very well know the difference! But as you say, the article mentions all three. I'll amend the thread starter.

I've changed the title of this thread and the top post to reflect the first bullet point in the mail article. But the article itself is confusing, I think!

If I am in a bargain store, I check the dates. There is one about 3 towns over that is notorious for selling expired foods. I don't mean by a few days. I mean by a month or more including meats.

We had a problem with one of our bargain stores for a while but they got rid of certain employees and cleaned up the store.

If I am in a bargain store, I check the dates. There is one about 3 towns over that is notorious for selling expired foods. I don't mean by a few days. I mean by a month or more including meats.

We had a problem with one of our bargain stores for a while but they got rid of certain employees and cleaned up the store.
Shop nearby selling food that in cases is over two years past it use by date. Mainly anything in packets, but anything goes.

Back
Top Bottom