Foods you can eat after their expiry date

A lot of foods are just down to simple [!] common sense - if food is properly cooked most bacteria are destroyed anyway but if it smells/looks off to start with it usually is and no amount of cooking will cure it. After all a 'use by' or even 'best before' date are not guarantees - some types of food can go off in a few hours after purchase for example

As with most of the above, I would go by smell and taste, not date. Apart from fresh orange juice (when I used to drink it), even one gulp would spoil my day if it were going off!

I can imagine that (the orange juice). I've never been one to drink fruit juice - that is, unless you count the fermented kind...

I've seen so many articles regarding this topic. Yes, it is safe to eat after the date as long as it's not such a big period of time. This is only to inform the population and to not let the markets with the same products for 5 years. (plus...the more you buy, the faster the economy growth)

I've seen so many articles regarding this topic. Yes, it is safe to eat after the date as long as it's not such a big period of time. This is only to inform the population and to not let the markets with the same products for 5 years. (plus...the more you buy, the faster the economy growth)
So true!

To those who believe in the 'use by' date fanatically I would only ask one question -
If it was well inside the use by or even sell by date and it smelt/tasted off would you still use it ? If the answer is no then they have proved the argument that it is merely a guide - if it is yes.... then I might just avoid visiting them for dinner :headshake:

To those who believe in the 'use by' date fanatically I would only ask one question -
If it was well inside the use by or even sell by date and it smelt/tasted off would you still use it ? If the answer is no then they have proved the argument that it is merely a guide - if it is yes.... then I might just avoid visiting them for dinner :headshake:
Only if it was Durian fruit. But how would you know if it smelled off?
No, it is smells off, it goes to Trashy Candace.

Durian fruit is probably the exception that proves the rule. But also, Thai fish sauce smells quite nasty to most people (not to me) but tastes wonderful when added to dishes. What is Trashy Candace?

Durian fruit is probably the exception that proves the rule. But also, Thai fish sauce smells quite nasty to most people (not to me) but tastes wonderful when added to dishes. What is Trashy Candace?
Trashy Candace is better known as a trash can.

Back
Top Bottom