For When You Don't Cook

We grab Subs on a weekly basis. Tuna and cheese with mustard sauce and all veggies except corn is our favorite. Turkey with extra bacon or beef taco (without tortilla chips :D) are other alternatives. Sometimes we have takeaway thai food (rice, steamed vegetables and 2-3 different poultry or meat sauces). We prefer a Finnish hamburger chain but we do visit McD too. Usually we order regular layered cheeseburgers/Big Macs, fries and diet cola. MCD salads contain too much cabbage nowadays. I quite liked the late taco salad which is no longer available. Other regular takeaways: pizza (often a semi-rye crust, half regular cheese, salami, minced meat or pepperoni), veggies, rocket/arugula and extra blue cheese, feta or mozzarella), kebab with rice and mild chili sauce, ready-made bubble and squeak, lasagne/-a or shrimp/prawn salad with mayo.

For taking home: (no deliveries available here).

From the local breakfast/lunch nook semi-diner: BLT's. Sausage, egg and cheese on rye toast or English muffin. I'd have more options if I ate something in the parking lot.

Other places: Pizza (an independent restaurant only open during COVID in the evenings, but I could always re-heat when I got it home. In the OVEN, not the nuker, of course!) Buffalo wings, which are even further away, and get nuked. (Not from the chain, but an excellent independent eatery to begin with...!)

Sushi from a Japanese/Korean restaurant. Not as good as the restaurant I used to patronize back in Connecticut, but if I am good about what I order, this scratches that itch enough. Good thing is that no re-heating necessary!

On weekends, I usually go to Jersey Mike's. They have the best subs around!! Better than Subway!! :whistling:
Not crazy about subs. The only ones around me are Subway - no Jersey Mikes to test. But overall, I fear that I find the bread to food ratio way off for my preferences. (When I did eat a Subway sub, I had to remove the top of the bread, and eat the bottom of it with the putative innards open-faced.)

Not crazy about subs. The only ones around me are Subway - no Jersey Mikes to test. But overall, I fear that I find the bread to food ratio way off for my preferences. (When I did eat a Subway sub, I had to remove the top of the bread, and eat the bottom of it with the putative innards open-faced.)

Jersey Mike's subs/hoagies are very good, IMO. If the bread is good, that is part of the experience, and JM's has good bread. I always get the Italian.

BTW MyPinch, that means Italian American -- It's a New Jersey thing. In North Jersey, it's called a Sub, while in South Jersey, it's called a Hoagie.

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 9.08.01 AM.png

CD

I'm going for Thai, Vietnamese, Indian or Mexican/Central/South American. Chinese every now and again, but we lack GOOD Chinese in the area.

My default, no plans don't feel like doing nuthin' meal: Cheeseburger w/ bacon, raw onion, ketchup, mayo, tomato.

That's the size I get, too. I'm to old to eat a foot-long sub.

CD

I thought it was smaller than that. But anyway, I like it, because when i've eaten it all, I feel satisfied & not too full at all!! Since I lost weight & don't eat a whole lot of food, the mini sub makes me feel like I've eaten a regular-size sub. I never get any sub larger! All of the taste of a larger sub in a compact mini sub without the guilt of pigging out on a full-size sub!! :whistling:

15 years ago I could do the foot long, but I can only do 6 inch now. Our drive through recently closed, we havnt had them since, we live close to a university so that's always packed with students. I do love them though. Staff tend to be a bit frugal with ingredients until I say, do you own the joint? Chuck some more on.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom