2018-09-16-17-26-39-jpg.jpg

Four servings

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
about 10 cups sliced onions, I use mix of red and sweet onion and leeks
3 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
3 cups beef stock, preferably homemade
1-1/2 cups Gewurztraminer

4 slices crusty french bread
4 oz (or more if you like it cheesy) raclette or gruyere or emmenthal cheese (or a mix), sliced or grated

Melt butter in heavy large dutch-oven type pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and golden for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add wine and simmer for 5 minutes. (Can be made a day or 2 ahead and refrigerated, heat and bring to simmer before serving).

Toast bread slices on both sides. Then either put cheese on bread and melt in toaster oven and transfer to soup bowls or float bread on top of soup in oven-proof bowls, add cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted.

Yeah - I can see how Gewurtz would work. :okay:

The recipe is supposedly from the Alsace region, which is apparently a very good place for "Gert" grapes to grow. We've had this recipe for many, many years, but I am 95% sure it came from the Bon Appetit mag and was probably in an issue featuring that region of France.

The recipe is supposedly from the Alsace region, which is apparently a very good place for "Gert" grapes to grow. We've had this recipe for many, many years, but I am 95% sure it came from the Bon Appetit mag and was probably in an issue featuring that region of France.
I imagine the wine balances out the traditional saltiness of a French Onion soup. I haven't heard of this in what I normally see as a simple onion-stock-cheese-bread-butter recipe. I like it.

Sort of a funny because of the way she was acting, but also really scary story. Our DD went to France on a school sponsored trip in her Junior year when she was in high school (they did a different country every year). She loved French onion soup and so had it for dinner 1 night. The whole group went to the same place, but sat at different tables with their friends and the chaperones at their own tables. That night happened to be 1 of the nights she was to call home and check in. As soon as I started talking to her, I realized she was either drunk or high, so I told her to put her best friend on the phone. She got on the phone and seemed to be fine so I asked her what happened to DD. She told me DD was fine up until she started eating her soup (2 servings because that was all she ate and they were small bowls) and then she started getting silly and it just got worse. I asked her if they managed to get alcohol to drink (it wasn't allowed on the trip by the school obviously, though we did let her have wine occasionally at home). Her BF told me no and that nobody else that had the soup acted that way. I continued to ask questions and found out the waiter had been really flirting with DD and paying her a lot more attention than the other girls. She told me that her and their other friends managed to get DD back to the hotel and in their room without the chaperones noticing the way she was acting, which doesn't say much for the adults, and that DD had fallen asleep while we were talking. So, I told her to have DD call me when they woke up the next morning. She did and was hungover, headache, nausea, etc. I asked again about getting alcohol and she promised me they didn't. So, I told her to be careful about what she ate and drank from then on, and that if she didn't start feeling better during the day to tell 1 of the adults what happened the night before so they could make the decision on whether she needed to see a doctor or not.

I didn't think either one of them was lying to me about alcohol or drugs for 2 reasons. One was they were both good girls, and the other friends sitting with them were as well. Second because I was the cool mom that would let DD and her BF have a glass of wine on occasion, plus take them to book signings with romance cover models, buying a Playgirl for them to ogle some TV or movie star that was big back then and did a spread, be the chaperone to take them to concerts/other events that other moms and dads didn't want to attend, etc. So, while I might have really bitched her out about drinking, especially in a foreign country, I would have let the resulting hangover be the biggest lesson, at least until she was home.

To this day, she's 42 now, she swears she didn't drink any alcohol or take any drugs. She also will not eat French onion soup anymore, even after all this time, though it was her favorite soup before. We decided that waiter either dosed her soup with extra wine or gave her some kind of drug dissolved in it, and she was extremely lucky nothing bad happened to her.

Last edited:
Wow. I thought the punchline was going to be that there was too much wine in the preparation. I can see that adding it in the last 5 minutes won't boil much of the alcohol out of it, so two large bowls and a low tolerance for alcohol might be the reason (I'd hate to think there was sinister intent, but it's impossible to tell).

Sort of a funny because of the way she was acting, but also really scary story. Our DD went to France on a school sponsored trip in her Junior year when she was in high school (they did a different country every year). She loved French onion soup and so had it for dinner 1 night. The whole group went to the same place, but sat at different tables with their friends and the chaperones at their own tables. That night happened to be 1 of the nights she was to call home and check in. As soon as I started talking to her, I realized she was either drunk or high, so I told her to put her best friend on the phone. She got on the phone and seemed to be fine so I asked her what happened to DD. She told me DD was fine up until she started eating her soup (2 servings because that was all she ate and they were small bowls) and then she started getting silly and it just got worse. I asked her if they managed to get alcohol to drink (it wasn't allowed on the trip by the school obviously, though we did let her have wine occasionally at home). Her BF told me no and that nobody else that had the soup acted that way. I continued to ask questions and found out the waiter had been really flirting with DD and paying her a lot more attention than the other girls. She told me that her and their other friends managed to get DD back to the hotel and in their room without the chaperones noticing the way she was acting, which doesn't say much for the adults, and that DD had fallen asleep while we were talking. So, I told her to have DD call me when they woke up the next morning. She did and was hungover, headache, nausea, etc. I asked again about getting alcohol and she promised me they didn't. So, I told her to be careful about what she ate and drank from then on, and that if she didn't start feeling better during the day to tell 1 of the adults what happened the night before so they could make the decision on whether she needed to see a doctor or not.

I didn't think either one of them was lying to me about alcohol or drugs for 2 reasons. One was they were both good girls, and the other friends sitting with them were as well. Second because I was the cool mom that would let DD and her BF have a glass of wine on occasion, plus take them to book signings with romance cover models, buying a Playgirl for them to ogle some TV or movie star that was big back then and did a spread, be the chaperone to take them to concerts/other events that other moms and dads didn't want to attend, etc. So, while I might have really bitched her out about drinking, especially in a foreign country, I would have let the resulting hangover be the biggest lesson, at least until she was home.

To this day, she's 42 now, she swears she didn't drink any alcohol or take any drugs. She also will not eat French onion soup anymore, even after all this time, though it was her favorite soup before. We decided that waiter either dosed her soup with extra wine or gave her some kind of drug dissolved in it, and she was extremely lucky nothing bad happened to her.

We just had a guy jailed here for using date rape drugs at a night club. Terrible thing to happen.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom