Fridge freezer kaput!

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:29 AM
Had enough of the maytag unit, freezer keeps playing up. Just been out looking at new, from 2k to 6k. Just need to decide which one, has to be plumbed with ice cubes and shaved, plus water filtered.

Russ

I'm getting tired of having to wedge something in my side-by-side door handles to keep my %&$# fridge closed. It just bugs me that it still works, otherwise (it's only 26 years old). Well, the ice dispenser in the freezer door is fried, but the ice-maker still works.

I've pretty much got it down to two models, both made by GE. I don't know if GE is a player down there. I'm looking at about $2,500 (American). I just hate to spend that kind of money on something that still (technically) does what it is supposed to do.

CD

A friend of mine has a Tappan. The thing is falling apart, but he flatly refuses to buy another one. He's had it since'98 when his mom & dad were still alive! Time for him to invest in getting a new one!! Plus it is rusting on the outside!! :headshake:

I'm getting tired of having to wedge something in my side-by-side door handles to keep my %&$# fridge closed. It just bugs me that it still works, otherwise (it's only 26 years old). Well, the ice dispenser in the freezer door is fried, but the ice-maker still works.

I've pretty much got it down to two models, both made by GE. I don't know if GE is a player down there. I'm looking at about $2,500 (American). I just hate to spend that kind of money on something that still (technically) does what it is supposed to do.

CD

Samsung and haier (Chinese) and fisher n paykel are big players here. Didn't see any maytag, this only lasted 12 years. Going to buy tomorrow, prolly go with a nz product with f and p.

Russ

A friend of mine has a Tappan. The thing is falling apart, but he flatly refuses to buy another one. He's had it since'98 when his mom & dad were still alive! Time for him to invest in getting a new one!! Plus it is rusting on the outside!! :headshake:

Never heard of that brand. Mine was repaired twice under warranty so no biggie here. But I have to have ice.

Russ

Samsung and haier (Chinese) and fisher n paykel are big players here. Didn't see any maytag, this only lasted 12 years. Going to buy tomorrow, prolly go with a nz product with f and p.

Russ

The Maytag brand is owned by Whirlpool. Whirlpool also owns KintchenAid, JennAir, Amana, Hotpoint and a few other brands. They used to make Kenmore appliances for Sears, too. Whirlpool is the 900-pound gorilla of appliances.

I have a Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer. They do the job. I also have a Whirlpool water heater, and it is a piece of crap -- not made by Whirlpool.

GE Appliances is jointly owned by General Electric and Haier. Their Appliances sold in the US are made in the US.

You really have to do your homework with major appliances, because the name on the appliance is often not the name of the company that made it.

CD

Never heard of that brand. Mine was repaired twice under warranty so no biggie here. But I have to have ice.

Russ

That brand was out during the '60s, '70s, '80s & '90s. I don't think it's around any more. They also used to make dishwashers & stoves.

Last edited:

Russ

I think Samsung is also Chinese. Hardly nothing is made in America now!!:headshake:

The Maytag brand is owned by Whirlpool. Whirlpool also owns KintchenAid, JennAir, Amana, Hotpoint and a few other brands. They used to make Kenmore appliances for Sears, too. Whirlpool is the 900-pound gorilla of appliances.

I have a Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer. They do the job. I also have a Whirlpool water heater, and it is a piece of crap -- not made by Whirlpool.

GE Appliances is jointly owned by General Electric and Haier. Their Appliances sold in the US are made in the US.

You really have to do your homework with major appliances, because the name on the appliance is often not the name of the company that made it.

CD

Whirlpool also owns Speed Queen, Roper, Estate & a few others.

Looks like we are trying the repair ??? The last company went broke.

Russ

Sometimes it's better to just get a new appliance. What if it breaks again? You'll be pouring money into something that just keeps on breaking! You don't want to do that.

Samsung and LG are South Korean companies.

CD

I've been to Seoul and done business in Pusan, 25 years ago and their products are excellent in my book. I've been to a few factories down there. I don't like buying Chinese however as it's normally cheap copies. I've had samples from China, it's rubbish.

Russ

Well, the fridge report from here is that I have a 15yo Maytag, bottom freezer, in-freezer ice maker, that makes a lot of clunky noises throughout the day.

The door doesn't seal all that well, it has to be firmly pushed shut. I would imagine it'll be the next appliance we replace, but not anytime soon.

The next one will not have the ice maker. We rarely use ice for anything. We might split one soft drink a week, we might have one mixed drink each a week that needs ice, and that's about it. I spend more time dumping the ice out because, over time, it'll freeze into one solid chunk, than I do actually using the ice, that's it's a pain having it.

Back
Top Bottom