Fried chicken talk

i have made my chicken as i described above and let freinds and family eat it and when they wanted to make their own i gave them my exact recipe , then they came back and said what they cooked wasn't as good as mine so then i vac. packed every spice and even the coating and gave it to them ,again they said it wasn't as good as mine ...so i think my freinds just can't follow directions !!!! that or they are to dang lazy to cook it and just want me to do it for them ...lol

That just might be the problem!! Hah!! :stop:

most people buy precut chicken at the market , most of these are unsuitable for frying because they are to big ( i have bought chicken breasts that look like they came off a turkey !!!) instead buy whole hens and cut them up yourself

I've recently taken to using frozen chicken almost exclusively - except for some recipes that may need a whole bird. Fresh chicken has become so expensive around here it's ridiculous - this was sparked by a shortage of neighbouring Malaysia chickens resulting in an import ban to Singapore which caused prices to rocket (if you could even find it). Despite the ban being lifted some months ago, Malaysian chicken prices remain high (about USD $11-$15 a kilo!!!).

I can get frozen chicken imported from Brazil for $4.50 a kilo - $3 if it's on offer which it is quite often.

After having used it for quite a few months, I'm convinced there's no noticeable difference in taste or texture for the majority of applications - especially fried chicken where there's a ton of seasoning/coating and stuff goes in hot oil. It may matter for something more refined (such as some of those whole bird recipes I alluded to above such as Hainanese chicken rice).

Conclusion - you don't need the best most premium fresh chicken to make KFC-alikes (and I've made A LOT of those :) ),

never use a batter ( wet coating ) the reason i say this is this : you might get a crispy crust on the outside but the underside of the crust will be a soggy mess , never use an egg wash the reason i say this is that it just washes off the coating you just put on the chicken and at best you will get uneven clumps of crust , instead season your chicken while its still wet and coat it with a dry flour mixture and shake off any excess flour ,

I agree - I'm absolutely not a fan of those buttermilk coatings that give a hard crunchy shell - that texture just dominates the whole bite and is a sponge for oil. I prefer as you say, a dry seasoned flour coating having just dipped the chicken in cold water prior. After all - that's how KFC do it! :)

I agree - I'm absolutely not a fan of those buttermilk coatings that give a hard crunchy shell - that texture just dominates the whole bite and is a sponge for oil. I prefer as you say, a dry seasoned flour coating having just dipped the chicken in cold water prior. After all - that's how KFC do it! :)

It is my understanding that buttermilk is used as a marinade in the US, not used to make a batter. There is something in buttermilk that makes it tenderize chicken.

Perhaps someone can add to this post.

CD

It is my understanding that buttermilk is used as a marinade in the US, not used to make a batter. There is something in buttermilk that makes it tenderize chicken.

Perhaps someone can add to this post.

CD

Yes - you're right - it's not a 'batter' in the same sense as say, a fish and chips 'batter', but taking Kenji's Buttermilk Brined Chicken as an example, while you are urged to let excess buttermilk (which is the brining liquid) drip off, it is still the adhesive in the equation that binds the coating to the meat and when that's fried up, then you get a batter-like shell (as opposed to a 'powder coat'). Another ingredient commonly seen in recipes like that is egg, which contributes to this result. KFC-alikes don't have either of these.

I suppose I assumed this is what grumpyoldman was referring to...

most recipes that call for an egg wash use it to help the flour stick to the chicken and many say to double dip the chicken meaning dip the chicken in the egg wash then flour it then repeat in order to try to give the chicken a thicker coat of flour ,
this simply doesn't work
chicken has gotten expensive so when you want to experiment just use 2-3 wings rather than chancing a whole batch of chicken , this way you can tinker with all kinda things such as spices , different oils , or whatever you like without breaking the bank

if any of you ever ate anything fried at a fast food joint ( mc donalds , wendys popeyes and such before the early 90s you have had food fried in beef tallow , public pressure about colestrol and such caused the big chains to switch to all vegatable oil but before then it was very common , its not the healthiest thing to cook with, but it does make a difference in the flavor of fried foods , i ''ll sneak it into my fryer every so often when the wife is not paying attention
and as soon as she tastes fries or something i cooked using it she knows ...lol i will use a 25/75 ratio
anyone else still use it ?

Back
Top Bottom