Fried Turkey for Thanksgiving

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
9:54 PM
I know, I know.. it's fattening. Indeed, but you won't find a better tasting turkey than one fried in peanut oil. Crispy outside, juicy inside. Even the leftovers stay juicy.

Have you ever fried a turkey?

Turk'N'Surf Electric Turkey Fryer..jpg

I did it once!

Bought a turkey fryer like the one above. It did it good, but deep fried turkey is something that I don't do often enough, and what do you do with all that leftover peanut oil, which is so astronomically expensive?!! I'm having it at my nephew's house in Georgia next month, so I'll wait until then to enjoy some of it!! :hungry:

The oil is definitely expensive. We usually fry more than one turkey to try to make it a bit more worthwhile. Say you have two other families coming to dinner, they can each bring a turkey to fry as well and take home with them. That also means I get to keep all my leftover turkey. I love turkey, so this works for me. I have heard that you can carefully strain the oil and then refrigerate it to use again. I'm not sure how long it would keep or anything, as I've never done this.

Seriously? Good idea!

What I've been doing, as of late, is buying turkey PARTS and cooking whatever part desired.

This way helps eliminate too much turkey being left over. And I only use a half turkey breast at a time, or two wings or legs to do it!

I like to do what I call a Mini-Thanksgiving dinner - a holiday or Sunday Dinner with all the fixin's, but scaled down to a much smaller size or degree!!

That is where turkey PARTS work for me!! Here's a Mini-Thanksgiving Dinner that I made about a month ago. This was from a roasted 1/2 turkey breast. :hungry: :eek:
001.JPG

I know, I know.. it's fattening. Indeed, but you won't find a better tasting turkey than one fried in peanut oil. Crispy outside, juicy inside. Even the leftovers stay juicy.

Have you ever fried a turkey?
Very fattening... but oh so good!!! I have had this a few times at a neighbors house but never actually fried one for my family. I guess I just don't want to invest in the turkey fryer. :) It truly is amazing and the meat is incredible. Super moist and the skin is sooo crispy! You will never want a turkey from the oven again, I promise you that!

Danyel :)

I think I gained two pounds just thinking about Thanksgiving.

Is that yams in your picture, Shermie? They look delicious. What is your recipe, if you care to share?

I think I gained two pounds just thinking about Thanksgiving.

Is that yams in your picture, Shermie? They look delicious. What is your recipe, if you care to share?

Candied Sweet Potatoes.

I believe that I posted the recipe for it in the Vegetables forum. :hungry::hungry::hungry:

Very fattening... but oh so good!!! I have had this a few times at a neighbors house but never actually fried one for my family. I guess I just don't want to invest in the turkey fryer. :) It truly is amazing and the meat is incredible. Super moist and the skin is sooo crispy! You will never want a turkey from the oven again, I promise you that!

Danyel :)

Agreed! It is fattening, but so very delicious. I have never fried a turkey myself. I have a couple of friends who fry their turkeys for Thanksgiving. Very delicious. It's been a couple of years since I have eat turkey, but I may break my meat fast if they invite me over for dinner.

Yup, it's there! :wink:

Oh goodie! Thanks, Shermie.

Yes, Tara, I love turkey to begin with.. it's one of my favorites. Who knew it could be even tastier? But, it definitely is when fried. The biggest issue is making gravy. So, I boil the giblets and if I'm having lots of people, I pick up a couple extra wings to boil for gravy as well.

Oh goodie! Thanks, Shermie.

Yes, Tara, I love turkey to begin with.. it's one of my favorites. Who knew it could be even tastier? But, it definitely is when fried. The biggest issue is making gravy. So, I boil the giblets and if I'm having lots of people, I pick up a couple extra wings to boil for gravy as well.

Another issue is that you can't stuff it either!

Yeah, it is good, but unless you plan to use the oil again & soon, then not only are you stuck with all that oil, it could start to go rancid & spoil!

As much as I love deep fried turkey, and if it weren't for my dear late brother teaching me how to do it, I probably never would have known what it's like to enjoy some of it!! And as bad as I would like to do one again, I just can't because it would be too much to try to eat!

So I just happily do turkey PARTS instead of a whole one. It is far less left over to have to store in the fridge. And I don't want to have to cook a giant meal just for myself! I don't eat that much any more, anyway!! :eek:

In my cooking history, I have NEVER even thought to fry turkey. I have done a "licking" stew and have baked it every way imaginable, but never have I fried it. I don't think it's something I might try anytime soon as I am really trying to watch what I eat. However from the excitement I am seeing here it looks like something I might be putting on my "to do" list.

As we speak I have some in the oven and while my son is no fan, my husband can pretty much eat the set of wings on his own. He might soon start growing his own wings:).

I know someone who cooks chicken by boiling it, so why not fry a turkey?

SatNavSaysStraight do you mean boiling it as a whole chicken? I cook or boil my chicken from time to time as I do my turkey but in parts. The forum has brought the frying of turkey into focus for me though. Should I decide to try this I am going to have to cut it in very small portions as I am not big on frying thick meats. Actually I am not big on frying period. That said, all of the others with the experience seem thrilled so I am quite curious to maybe try it sooner rather than later.

SatNavSaysStraight do you mean boiling it as a whole chicken? I cook or boil my chicken from time to time as I do my turkey but in parts. The forum has brought the frying of turkey into focus for me though. Should I decide to try this I am going to have to cut it in very small portions as I am not big on frying thick meats. Actually I am not big on frying period. That said, all of the others with the experience seem thrilled so I am quite curious to maybe try it sooner rather than later.

yep - the entire chicken gets boiled! Apparently it gives for a more moist meat, but being veggie minus dairy I have no idea. It is my step-father who cooks them this way, but then my mother has been known to cook salmon in the dishwasher (in foil) after a cleaning cycle and apparently also makes for an excellent way of cooking it.

Back
Top Bottom