Fried Turkey for Thanksgiving

I used to think I knew a lot about cooking until I came here, went online and watched some television shows. There are not a lot of boundaries when it comes to cooking it seems. Or if there are boundaries they are to be ignored. The cooking of salmon in the dishwasher takes " the cake " for today:).

The whole chicken being cooked sounds good though and something I would try soon.

Last edited:
all I know with the dishwasher and salmon is that the dishwasher goes on without pots and pans, to have a clean.
them the salmon or any fish I guess, is well wrapped in foil and put into the glasses area of the dishwasher - top shelf...
I don't know what cycle the salmon goes on in, but obviously without any detergent!

apparently it makes for a very succulent salmon... but again I don't know. I have just seen people's response to it and lacking both a dishwasher and the will to eat fish, I have never tried it.
I did find this YouTube video...

I'm happy to say that I enjoyed my nephew's deep fried turkey and all the fixin's!!

I had a wonderful time there, and everyone ate to their heart's content!!! A good ole' time was had by all!! :hungry:

I'm happy to say that I enjoyed my nephew's deep fried turkey and all the fixin's!!

I had a wonderful time there, and everyone ate to their heart's content!!! A good ole' time was had by all!! :hungry:

How was it fried? In small parts? For example were the wings fried as a whole wing or cut into smaller pieces? I am still curious as to how people generally fry turkey not having had any before. I feel like I would only consider it if it's cut into very small parts.

How was it fried? In small parts? For example were the wings fried as a whole wing or cut into smaller pieces? I am still curious as to how people generally fry turkey not having had any before. I feel like I would only consider it if it's cut into very small parts.

He had preheated the peanut oil in the tall pot that uses a propane tank / burner as the cooking source. He kept an eye on the temp of the oil, using a thermometer.

Then he slowly lowered the whole turkey into the oil and cooked it for about an hour or so. It came out delish!! As I said, the skin was crispy dry & golden, with the meat tender, moist & juicy!

He DID cook some wings separately, and they came out good as well!! :hungry: :wink:

He had preheated the peanut oil in the tall pot that uses a propane tank / burner as the cooking source. He kept an eye on the temp of the oil, using a thermometer.

Then he slowly lowered the whole turkey into the oil and cooked it for about an hour or so. It came out delish!! As I said, the skin was crispy dry & golden, with the meat tender, moist & juicy!

He DID cook some wings separately, and they came out good as well!! :hungry: :wink:

This sounds awesome. Was the bird coated as with traditional frying? Whatever the case, it sounds like something I would like to experience at least once. That thing you want to try just to say you have "done it". I am sure my husband would love it. He loves to eat.

Like my nephew's 2nd child. He LOVES to eat - which is why he's so big!!

My nephew's wife had injected the bird with a liquid marinade, and she left it marinate in the fridge overnight. No flour is used to coat it. :) :wink:

I got to thinking about it and felt the flour would not be necessary especially if you are frying it whole. I am surrounded by people who love to cook. Some just for the fun of it and some who are professionals. I mean to ask around to see if any of them might have fried a whole turkey. I must confess, it sounds really fun and very tasty if seasoned well.

Whenever I purchase turkey, it is always in parts. I usually steer clear of the whole bird.:) I went searching as I always do and found this recipe. I doubt it's as good as your nephew's.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/deep-fried-turkey-recipe.html

I, also, buy turkey PARTS instead of a whole one!

It is just too much turkey for me to cook a whole one. Which is why just half of a turkey breast is good enough for me! Or two wings or two legs.

But with time, patience and care, you'll be able to perfect deep frying one.

Once you do, you'll feel like you're in hog heaven!! I was when I first tried it and when I visited my nephew in Georgia last week!!! :hungry:

I, also, buy turkey PARTS instead of a whole one!

It is just too much turkey for me to cook a whole one. Which is why just half of a turkey breast is good enough for me! Or two wings or two legs.

But with time, patience and care, you'll be able to perfect deep frying one.

Once you do, you'll feel like you're in hog heaven!! I was when I first tried it and when I visited my nephew in Georgia last week!!! :hungry:

:):DHog heaven!! I think I am going to have to stay right here on earth and eat me some bush as I have to start looking at my health. I will have to look up ever so often and imagine what life is like in hog heaven.

I have to put a hold on the fries for a bit. I intended trying it this weekend as I had some parts already seasoned and ready to roll. Then I had a medical emergency and returned home to some over baked turkey. It was not meant to be.

002.jpg

Here's a pic of my nephew's deep fried turkey! It was oh so good!!! :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom