Frozen Ingredients: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Just keep in mind, even though you are near a coast, raw shrimp in your grocery store was likely frozen at the docks, then thawed out at the store to look "fresh." You have to ask. If they were frozen and thawed, you are better of just buying them still frozen from right after they were caught.

CD
As with Medtran's Florida, in Connecticut seafood must also be labeled as previously frozen. Not so clear how the rules work here in Massachusetts - so other than some clams (which were obvious as they were alll closed shut and alive) I haven't frozen any seafood I've bought up here to date. My western side of the state isn't all that good about HAVING any variety, to speak of.

2AE36D86-2891-4891-B634-07DF6D672FF9.jpeg

I just noticed this label, which raises a few questions:

1) why did this American company go all the way to Indonesia to get their shrimp?
2) if the shrimp were “raised frozen”, how did they swim? :laugh:

price. pure and simple. it's cheaper than domestic.
same with crab meat - altho most Oriental crab is not "blue claw" stuff but another species.

90% of seafood is imported to USA
10% of that is inspected.
issues from the unregulated 'fish farming' conditions can put you off seafood forever.
if you fumble thru the USDA site you can find the records of seafood 'rejected' at importation and the 'broad brush' reasons.

I refuse to buy third-forth-fifth-ten world imported seafood/shellfish - just plain old too risky.

View attachment 64044

I just noticed this label, which raises a few questions:

1) why did this American company go all the way to Indonesia to get their shrimp?
2) if the shrimp were “raised frozen”, how did they swim? :laugh:

I am 300 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, where there is an abundance of shrimp caught wild. Yet, most of the shrimp at Kroger comes from Asia. I can get wild caught Gulf shrimp, but I have to look for it -- and pay more. Go figure.

CD

I am 300 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, where there is an abundance of shrimp caught wild. Yet, most of the shrimp at Kroger comes from Asia. I can get wild caught Gulf shrimp, but I have to look for it -- and pay more. Go figure.

CD

Us too.

Back
Top Bottom