Frugal or profligate?

I end up with food I can't eat fast enough - lettuce falls into this category. You can't get a small size of just a little of one type, so that you can mix it how one desires... ANOTHER good reason to have chickens... veggies about to go off? Chickens are happy!

BTW, they're laying heartily, and I had several really dirty eggs that I don't try to sell/give to friends - so this morning I scrambled up five of them and will feed them to the chickens later today.

Splurge bought Thursday: crawfish. They're seasonal, so I got them. Had me a crawfish boil last night. Didn't finish all the claws so I've saved those for whatever snacking I want to do today or tomorrow.

We're the sort that sticks to lists and typically avoids farmers markets because we buy too much of everything at them. But we do visit them every now and again because they also happen to have a lot of speciality herbs and spices, relishes, pickles, jams and the likes. It's also the best place to pick up different beers and dark ales in particular something that Australia lacks in the liquor stores/bottle shops .

I love farmers's markets, and yes, I do buy too much at them... everything looks sooo good, unique and fresh - and it is! Can't wait to shop at them again! Right now it's logistics getting in my way.

Only yesterday we we discussing freezing some asparagus whilst it's still in season. Apparently, it works if you blanch it first.

Extra asparagus?

I've dehydrated it, and it will last that way too. Once made a soup from dehydrated and ground asparagus, topping with a little bit of the dehydrated, but not ground, tips.

Madness! The fish van from Whitby which visits here once in a blue moon, arrived this evening. They knock the door and ask if you want fish from their van which they have driven down from Whitby. My freezer is already overflowing with fish and shellfish which are waiting to be cooked. So what did I do? Well of course, how could I resist?:

How sweet it is. Food coming right to your door. Life is good!

Madness! The fish van from Whitby which visits here once in a blue moon, arrived this evening. They knock the door and ask if you want fish from their van which they have driven down from Whitby. My freezer is already overflowing with fish and shellfish which are waiting to be cooked. So what did I do? Well of course, how could I resist?:

A large piece of fresh turbot, 2 x fresh Dover sole fillets and a fresh monkfish tail - all for £30 ($38 US, $55 AUS, $58 NZ, 34 Euro, 1214 Thai baht). I don't know how that compares to the price of fresh fish in your country but its really quite good for the UK.

Tomorrow its Dover sole with some sort sauce containing parsley... the rest will have to be stuffed into the freezer. :ohmy:

I would guess here around $30. Our fish is either cheap or dear. 2 sole fillets would be under $10. I cook sole for friends occasionally, actually I must do it again.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom