Recipe Fruit Pastes

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:21 PM
Fruit Pastes:

NOTE: Fruit Pastes have many uses. They are preparations for inclusion in recipes of all types, from beverages to meals and deserts. Uses in Baking are multiple, including confections and icings.

NOTE: The simplest Fruit Pastes are simply made by using a blender to pulp the flesh of any Fruit or combination of Fruits, adding Vanilla and refrigerating for a few days. By that definition, common Apple Sauce would be definable as a Fruit Paste.

NOTE: An alternate strategy for creating Fruit Pastes is to thicken them by reduction. Some Fruits, Pears for instance, are more watery than others and require more reduction than others. Bananas are neutral flavored and may be used as a thickener and may be preferred to other thickeners, such as Corn Starch. Using a reduction strategy creates more viscous thicker Fruit Pastes and it may even be preferable to caramelize the Pastes to some extent.

NOTE: It is possible to freeze the Fruit Paste for later usage. Due to the expansion of the paste when freezing, care should be taken to ensure that the container used will expand and not break or crack in the freezer.

Ingredients:

1) Any Fruit or Combination of Fruits
2) Vanilla
3) Banana (Optional)

(Sorry. No Photo)

Procedure:
1) Skin and Core the Fruit. Remove Seeds and Stems.
2) Chop the Fruit.
3) Pulp the Fruit with a tspn. of Vanilla in a blender.
4) If it is not desired to reduce the Fruit Paste, skip to step 6.

5) Heat the Paste in a pan to reduce and thicken the paste.

NOTE: When a Fruit Paste is heated to reduce or caramelize it, it may be considered to be cooked. As such, it becomes a Fruit Puree.

6) Pour the resulting Fruit Paste into a seal-able container.
7) Refrigerate or Freeze.

Last edited:
I've not heard the term 'fruit paste' before. Maybe the culinary term for this is different in the USA? What you describe would be called a fruit purée here.

I've not heard the term 'fruit paste' before. Maybe the culinary term for this is different in the USA? What you describe would be called a fruit purée here.

I understand there to be a difference between Pastes and Purees. That difference is that Purees are cooked and Pastes are not. So, when a Fruit Paste is reduced or caramelized, yes, you can argue that it is a Puree.

Later, as part of one my Tumeric Recipes, I will in fact cook the Fruit Paste that I create and thus produce a spiced Puree, spiced with Tumeric and Cinnamon. I will for now, keep how I will use that Puree in the Entree, under wraps. It will be something nice, if it works out.

Last edited:
I'm picking strawberries and raspberries ATM. I will make jam/jelly and coulis. I don't see making a paste?? How would I use it?

Russ

I'm picking strawberries and raspberries ATM. I will make jam/jelly and coulis. I don't see making a paste?? How would I use it?

Russ

I thought that I hinted at ways to use Fruit Paste in the original post. It is a versatile preparation. It can be used in beverages, not just smoothies, but for example, adding soda water to create a soda drink, ice cream ingredient or topping, yogurt ingredient, filling for baked pastries, topping for pancakes, cereals, breads and other foods, salad dressing, etc., etc. You need only use your imagination. You can turn Fruit Paste into Coulis or Purees, by cooking it appropriately.

Fruit Pastes can be produced in quantity and frozen for later use. You can also create frozen Fruit Paste Pops or Ice Cream Bars too.

I thought that I hinted at ways to use Fruit Paste in the original post. It is a versatile preparation. It can be used in beverages, not just smoothies, but for example, adding soda water to create a soda drink, ice cream ingredient or topping, yogurt ingredient, filling for baked pastries, topping for pancakes, cereals, breads and other foods, salad dressing, etc., etc. You need only use your imagination. You can turn Fruit Paste into Coulis or Purees, by cooking it appropriately.

Fruit Pastes can be produced in quantity and frozen for later use. You can also create frozen Fruit Paste Pops or Ice Cream Bars too.

I'm trying ice cream later in the season, from frozen. Thanks.

Russ

I'm trying ice cream later in the season, from frozen. Thanks.

Russ

You know, I don't consider reduction or caramelizing as cooking. So in the recipe, it is Fruit Paste, not Puree.

Are you sure you meant to say that? Those processes are definitely cooking.

I said it could be argued. We'll call it a Puree when I post the Tumeric Recipe. In the mean time, this thread has posts which point out that distinction, when the Paste is reduced or caramelized.

I have edited the original Fruit Paste recipe post to note that reducing or caramelizing the Fruit Paste implies converting it to a Fruit Puree.

Fruit paste are sold here. I want to try date paste which appear to have the same consistency as Membrillo (Quince Paste ) flyinglentris you can see the recipe in the link. Nb plum tomatoes are commonly known as Paste Tomatoes because there firm dry meat allows you to cook them down quickly to a Tomato paste. Membrillo (Quince Paste) Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com
1607181158157.png

Fruit paste are sold here. I want to try date paste which appear to have the same consistency as Membrillo (Quince Paste ) flyinglentris you can see the recipe in the link. Nb plum tomatoes are commonly known as Paste Tomatoes because there firm dry meat allows you to cook them down quickly to a Tomato paste. Membrillo (Quince Paste) Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

Date Paste sounds excellent. I love dates, but they are very seasonal. I was thinking of Date Paste a while ago for filling home made Nut Rolls.

BTW: Quince Paste is one of the arguable points that Morning Glory addressed as the difference between Paste and Puree. Quince, as you know, must be cooked. Yet the author of that recipe calls it Quince Paste, not Quince Puree. There seems to be a tendency among cooks to interchange the two terms, Paste and Puree, without regard to the true definitions.

Last edited:
Burt Blank

With regard to Date Paste being used in Nut Rolls. The other option I was considering was Fig Paste for Nut Rolls.

Back
Top Bottom