Recipe Fuyu Persimmon Fritters

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:15 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

I made these delicious Fuyu Persimmon Fritters as an alternative to apple fritters. Fuyu Persimmons are a variety of the more common persimmons, just with a thicker texture, in fact you can bite right into them like an apple as to slice them with a knife. That’s why they are also called kaki-apples (cachi-mela), at least in Italy.

Makes about 20 fritters, Preparation 10 mins, Cooking 15 mins

• Fuyu Persimmon (about 3)
  • Lemon juice 1
  • Caster sugar, a tablespoon
  • Italian Flour 00 / Plain Flour / All Purpose Flour 150 g, sifted
  • Whole milk 200 ml
  • 2 eggs
  • Baking powder 8 g (approx. 1 heaped teaspoon), sifted
  • Fine salt, a pinch
  • Peanut oil for a deep-frying, to taste

Method

Start with the batter: beat the 2 whole eggs in a bowl, add the milk, the sifted flour and sifted baking powder, mix everything with a fork until smooth and homogeneous and lump-free. Set aside.

Peel, core and slice about 5 mm thick Fuyu persimmons, place them in the bowl with lemon juice and sugar.

Cored.jpg

Heat the peanut oil in a saucepan, as soon as it starts to bubble, plunge in a couple of Fuyu Persimmon slices at a time so as not to lower the temperature of the oil.

Turn a couple of time the persimmon fritters during cooking for even browning, as soon as they are ready, place them on a plate lined with a double layer of paper towels to remove excess oil.

Sprinkle with caster sugar, icing sugar or cinnamon.

Interesting!
A few years ago, I was asked to experiment with kaki - not, I think, the same as your Fuyu. Any attempt at cooking them resulted in a really disagreeable texture, like wet cardboard. Yours look lovely, but is there any change in texture?

Interesting!
A few years ago, I was asked to experiment with kaki - not, I think, the same as your Fuyu. Any attempt at cooking them resulted in a really disagreeable texture, like wet cardboard. Yours look lovely, but is there any change in texture?

How did you prepare yours?

Nope, there was no change in consistency with these, they remained pretty firm luckily:)

I made 2 chutneys, a marmalade/jam, and a coulis. My comment at the time ( and I quote from my recipe book!):
"Terrible! Kaki cannot be cooked!! Fibrous and unpleasant"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh dear, really? Perhaps an unlucky load of them, it happens also to me of course.
I treated mine kaki exactly like apples as they are called kaki-mela, namely kaki-apple and they have the same texture. However I have also found some of them a bit fibrous sometimes and I avoided to cook them, or eat them, or even touch them again or watch them 😂

I like your idea to make chutney! I love it in general and with kaki must be such a treat. I may give it a try. Just a question about it: did you use kaki-mela (Fuyu Persimmon) or standard persimmon for it? Thank you 🙂

I think you´ve spotted the difference - Fuyu vs standard. I used standard, which are notoriously fickle. If they´re not perfectly ripe, they´re unpleasant. Your Fuyu seem (at least from the photo) to have a better consistency.
For the chutney, I used ginger, onion, a bit of fresh green chile, coriander and cinnamon, and a little orange juice.

I've now ordered some persimmon to experiment with. I too have made chutneys in the past using them but not much else. I don't necessarily expect them to be perfect but we shall see.

I think you´ve spotted the difference - Fuyu vs standard. I used standard, which are notoriously fickle. If they´re not perfectly ripe, they´re unpleasant. Your Fuyu seem (at least from the photo) to have a better consistency.
For the chutney, I used ginger, onion, a bit of fresh green chile, coriander and cinnamon, and a little orange juice.

Your persimmon chutney sounds delicious! Do you have photos/recipe to share by any chance? It would be great.

Yes, they are two different things. The standard persimmon is notoriously mushy, has a gelatinous consistency and can be eaten by the spoonful, whereas the other is more consistent and firm.
I once used the pulp of the standard persimmon together with ricotta cheese and filled crepes made with chestnut flour with it...mmm
This is also the time of chestnuts and similar, so I could make them again very soon.

Back
Top Bottom