Garbage to delicacy

Ok, the worst thing I ever saw anyone eat was on a documentary film we saw in school when I was a kid.

A fellow in the rain forest in South American used a stick to herd a live spider about the size of a rat into some kind of giant leaf, then he rolled it up and ate it. Live. The blasted legs were still wiggling!

:eek: :headshake: :stop:

I read that one of the reasons for the transformation of these crustaceans into luxury items related to how there was such an abundance of lobster that they had to start canning it to preserve it, otherwise they'd have to start throwing it out. This led to fresh lobster becoming a premium item. At some point, someone saw a business opportunity, and the rest is history.

Ha...we aren't taught much American history, either! :laugh: Seriously, there's always a bit of a debate about how much children are taught in school. There always seem to be areas that are glossed over or simply skipped. Most of the education about that time period relates to the formation of the country. I imagine it's even worse when it comes to European history for European kids (we only have ~250 years of history, whereas you have....a lot more years).

I was checking out at the grocery and my change was $19.41. I asked the young cashier what happened on that date in history? She had no clue! After telling her, she asked where Pearl Harbor was?:eek:

^^^ Something similar just happened to me. I was at the eye doc's, and the fellow in front of me was signing in.

The (very) young receptionist asked him his birthdate, and he said, "June 6th 1944. Easy to remember."

She laughed and said, "What, you need help remembering your birthday?!"

"No. I mean, it's June 6th, 1944. Same as D-Day."

"Oh..."

"You don't know what D-Day is, do you?"

She giggled and said, "No...I think I've heard of it, though."

:facepalm:

I was checking out at the grocery and my change was $19.41. I asked the young cashier what happened on that date in history? She had no clue! After telling her, she asked where Pearl Harbor was?:eek:

When I read 1941 I knew what you were going to say. Young people huh? I was with a friend and we were talking about the same thing. There is a young girl that works there, really clever engineering minded, and a girl racer. I asked her do you know what happened in 1066, she said how would I know? Lol. She had never heard of the battle of Hastings, lol. And don't get me started on check out chicks identifying veges. Grr.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom