The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:23 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
43bd6d8a-35d4-4a47-a706-7ad9aa1adb2c-jpeg.jpg

I stopped into a shop on Tuesday, and I saw that they were selling a recipe book consisting of recipes by local restaurants. The book was being sold as a fundraiser to help offset the massive losses that the local businesses have been suffering over the past year. Besides supporting a worthy cause, it's cool to have these new recipes at my disposal. This recipe is inspired by a recipe from The Cheese Lady. The linked site contains many of her recipes, but not this one. I thought that I might use that one as-is, but I felt compelled to change a few things (mostly adding leeks, and sautéing the leeks and garlic).

This could be served as a sandwich, or cut into smaller pieces and served as an hors d'oeuvres.

Ingredients

1 small leek, sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (not grated)
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons half-and-half, divided
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 slices white bread
2 tablespoons asiago cheese, shredded
1 large egg

Directions

1. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan on medium-low heat. Sauté leeks for about 5 minutes, then add garlic. Continue cooking until browned, scraping the pan frequently to prevent burning. Stir in flour to form a paste.

2. Add mustard, cheddar cheese, and 1 tablespoon of half-and-half. Stir in thoroughly. Allow to heat for another few minutes, then remove from heat. Allow to cool completely.

3. Spread half the cheese mixture on one slice of bread. Repeat for another slice of bread. Cover with the remaining pieces of bread.

4. Whisk egg, remaining half-and-half, and asiago. Place one sandwich in the mixture and allow to soak. Flip over and repeat for the other side of the sandwich. Scoop up any stray bits of asiago that don't stick and spread on the sandwich.

5. Melt remaining butter in a pan on medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Repeat for the other sandwich.

This is great comfort food and I love the idea of leeks in French toast 'sandwich'. The mustard is a good addition. It would be lovely served alongside a vegetable soup on a cold winter day.

Back
Top Bottom