Garlic butter... Here's mine

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:15 PM
we love garlic bread, I make it from butter,garlic,salt,evoo,parsley.
I get my garlic from a friend for swaps, he grows a few thousand bulbs. I give him sauce. I break bulbs up and freeze. This stops you getting that green spear inside the garlic, which I read somewhere gives you indigestion. Here's my take its one pound of butter, about 75ml evoo, this keeps the butter from going hard. Chopped garlic ( I chop it with a few shakes of rock salt) and parsley. This should Lat for about 6 weeks but I know it will be gone before then.

Russ

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nice on a nice ciabatta bread, I toast one side then butter the other, toast then I drizzle a bit of sweet chilli sauce over then a bit of grated cheese, grilled. Everyone I know rave about it done this way. I hope someone tries this.
Parsley is from the garden, dried then chopped.
Russ

Last edited:
@SatNavSaysStraightOn would this be vegan? Or vegetarian? The garlic is spray free, my friend doesn't use sprays. I've just been wondering. Thanks.

Russ
I make it from butter,garlic,salt,evoo,parsley.
Butter, by which I assume you mean a dairy butter of some kind (cows' or goats' are the most common) isn't vegan, just vegetarian. Everything else is vegan, so you can add the vegetarian tab, just not really the vegan one. You can get vegan butter though it is not cheap. I have made my own as well, again it is not particularly cheap even to make, so you could use the "vegan option" if you edit the original post to clarify.
The garlic is spray free, my friend doesn't use sprays.
as for the use of sprays, that is another matter entirely. If everything else was "organic" where it can be (including the olive oil) then you would be able to say organic as well, but that is very dependant on the butter, garlic, evoo, and parsley all being sourced from organic farms and then the salt is also an issue. Manufactured salt as in tablet salt or salt with iodine added or anything that basically isn't sea salt or similar, can't be considered as organic. Organic here is not being used in the chemistry sense, or referring to sprays but to derived from nature without 'tampering'. That's pretty much the best description I can come up with for 'organic' salt. Salt isn't by definition organic but.... there's a very similar 'argument' regarding water being organic as well.... don't go there, its the stuff of headaches! The very term organic is very misleading in a lot of places. You can legitimately use pesticide sprays and still be "organic". There is a list of organic pesticides that are permitted.... again it is very misleading because everyone assumes organic means no pesticides!

Last edited:
@SatNavSaysStraightOn would this be vegan? Or vegetarian? The garlic is spray free, my friend doesn't use sprays. I've just been wondering. Thanks.

Russ

@rascal - there is a very easy way to tell if a food/dish is vegan. If it (or any part of it) comes from an animal in any way its NOT vegan. So butter, milk, eggs etc. are not vegan because they come from animals.

Animals include fish, shellfish, snails, insects, reptiles etc.

Vegetarian is a bit more complicated because some vegetarians don't eat poultry eggs (for example) - but generally and for the purposes of this forum it means any dish not containing ingredients derived from the flesh of an animal - this includes fish eggs, such as caviar. Most vegetarians do eat poultry eggs.

Last edited:
@rascal - there is a very easy way to tell if a food/dish is vegan. If it (or any part of it) comes from an animal in any way its NOT vegan. So butter, milk, eggs etc. are not vegan because they come from animals.

Animals include fish, shellfish, snails, insects, reptiles etc.

Vegetarian is a bit more complicated because some vegetarians don't eat poultry eggs (for example) - but generally and for the purposes of this forum it means any dish not containing ingredients derived from the flesh of an animal - this includes fish eggs, such as caviar. Most vegetarians do eat poultry eggs.

Thanks for confusing me more,lol. Just kidding, but it is hard to tell what's vegan and not. Being a meat eating old fashioned guy. Same as Tourettes I don't remember people having this while growing up.

Russ

Butter, by which I assume you mean a dairy butter of some kind (cows' or goats' are the most common) isn't vegan, just vegetarian. Everything else is vegan, so you can add the vegetarian tab, just not really the vegan one. You can get vegan butter though it is not cheap. I have made my own as well, again it is not particularly cheap even to make, so you could use the "vegan option" if you edit the original post to clarify.

as for the use of sprays, that is another matter entirely. If everything else was "organic" where it can be (including the olive oil) then you would be able to say organic as well, but that is very dependant on the butter, garlic, evoo, and parsley all being sourced from organic farms and then the salt is also an issue. Manufactured salt as in tablet salt or salt with iodine added or anything that basically isn't sea salt or similar, can't be considered as organic. Organic here is not being used in the chemistry sense, or referring to sprays but to derived from nature without 'tampering'. That's pretty much the best description I can come up with for 'organic' salt. Salt isn't by definition organic but.... there's a very similar 'argument' regarding water being organic as well.... don't go there, its the stuff of headaches! The very term organic is very misleading in a lot of places. You can legitimately use pesticide sprays and still be "organic". There is a list of organic pesticides that are permitted.... again it is very misleading because everyone assumes organic means no pesticides!

So my good friends daughter, who says she is vegan, has her own chickens and eats their eggs is not vegan?
I always said she was odd,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom