Recipe Garlic butter Naan

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:40 PM
full.jpg

Naan (Serves 2-3, may double or triple if desired)

This was the softest, fluffiest naan I have ever made. I don't know if it's just the recipe itself or the fact that it ended up having an overnight rise/rest in the fridge as we changed our mind about dinner after I made the dough, or a combo.

I served it with butter roasted egg masala and vegetable biryani.

Ingredients

1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup plain yogurt
3-4 Tbsp lukewarm milk or water, divided
1 Tbsp oil or melted butter
1 tsp sugar, divided
3/8 tsp salt
1 to 1-1/2 tsp grated garlic or 3/4 tsp granulated garlic (optional)
3/8 tsp regular yeast
2-3 Tbsp melted butter for brushing
small amount of oil for frying

Toppings (optional, use as many or as few as you like)
2-3 cloves garlic very thinly sliced on a mandolin
1 Tbsp or so chopped cilantro
Nigella/kalonji/black cumin seeds, different names for same thing

Directions

Place yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar, and 1-2 Tbsp of the lukewarm milk or water in a small bowl, mix, and set aside. It should bubble and foam up if your yeast is good.

In a medium bowl, add the flour, remainder of sugar, salt and garlic if using. Mix well. Add the yeast mixture, rinsing out the small bowl with remainder of liquid. Mix well and knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Form into a ball, use a bit of oil in the bowl to coat dough lightly so it doesn't form a skin, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours or so. If resting overnight, let rise for about an hour in warm place and then transfer to refrigerator. About an hour before you are ready to use, take dough out of refrigerator and allow to warm up. This is a very soft, fluffy, airy dough.

On a lightly floured board, divide dough into 6 pieces and form balls. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Flatten each ball, then press and stretch with your fingers until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Top each disk with whatever toppings you are using and press lightly with your fingers so that they adhere.

Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat, add a little bit of oil and use a brush or wadded up paper towel to spread it around. Place dough disks topping side up in the pan, you may have to do this in batches, adding a bit of oil each time, and fry until a light golden brown on the bottom. Flip dough over and fry until light golden brown on top. Remove from skillet and brush top with melted butter. Serve.

Last edited:
View attachment 41111

This was the softest, fluffiest naan I have ever made. I don't know if it's just the recipe itself or the fact that it ended up having an overnight rise/rest in the fridge as we changed our mind about dinner after I made the dough, or a combo.

Ingredients

1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp sugar, divided
3/8 tsp salt
3/8 tsp regular yeast

Directions

Place yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar, and 1-2 Tbsp of the lukewarm milk or water in a small bowl, mix, and set aside. It should bubble and foam up if your yeast is good.

In a medium bowl, add the flour, remainder of sugar, salt and garlic if using. Mix well. Add the yeast mixture, rinsing out the small bowl with remainder of liquid. Mix well and knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Form into a ball, use a bit of oil in the bowl to coat dough lightly so it doesn't form a skin, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours or so. If resting overnight, let rise for about an hour in warm place and then transfer to refrigerator. About an hour before you are ready to use, take dough out of refrigerator and allow to warm up. This is a very soft, fluffy, airy dough.

On a lightly floured board, divide dough into 6 pieces and form balls. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Flatten each ball, then press and stretch with your fingers until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Top each disk with whatever toppings you are using and press lightly with your fingers so that they adhere.

Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat, add a little bit of oil and use a brush or wadded up paper towel to spread it around. Place dough disks topping side up in the pan, you may have to do this in batches, adding a bit of oil each time, and fry until a light golden brown on the bottom. Flip dough over and fry until light golden brown on top. Remove from skillet and brush top with melted butter. Serve.
Do you think I could use buttermilk for this? I am out of plain yogurt. I made some naan with yoghurt last week that was really, really good (similar recipe to yours but without the garlic). I am thinking the garlic will make it exceptional.

Edited to correct typo: initially I had written that I used buttermilk last week, I didn't, it was yoghurt.

Last edited:
Do you think I could use buttermilk for this? I am out of plain yogurt. I made some naan with yoghurt last week that was really, really good (similar recipe to yours but without the garlic). I am thinking the garlic will make it exceptional.

Edited to correct typo: initially I had written that I used buttermilk last week, I didn't, it was yoghurt.

Dont see why not, but don't try a 1:1 ratio since yogurt is thicker. I'd probably use half the amount gor yogurt and add more liquid if needed.

View attachment 41111

Ingredients

1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp sugar, divided
3/8 tsp salt
3/8 tsp regular yeast

Directions

Stolen.
Thanks btw

Russ

Exactly my thoughts as well.
:)

Russ
Yeah, I only wish I had time for the overnight rest. I will put it in the frig for maybe an hour before I cook it. When I made it last week I was so happy at how easy it is to make compared to making regular yeasted bread.

Back
Top Bottom