Garlic Cloves

Phoned up my Mum about the 40 garlic cloves chicken because I remembered her talking about it years ago. She said she used whole chicken when she made it but couldn't remember where the recipe came from. She thought it might be Elizabeth David but wasn't sure.

I saw a guy on TV cooking it once (many many years ago). Stuffed 40 plus cloves (uncut) into the chicken cavity prior to roasting. I've not tried it myself.

If I'm using fresh garlic and the recipe calls for +/- 4 cloves I'll just peel a head and stick that in.

Size of garlic cloves? This is the difference between what I use and what my wife uses (mine are on the right):

small garlic s.jpg

In my own recipes I tend towards teaspoons of either pureed or minced garlic which has been previously frozen. In fact by coincidence I minced three heads this morning for future use.

I saw a guy on TV cooking it once (many many years ago). Stuffed 40 plus cloves (uncut) into the chicken cavity prior to roasting. I've not tried it myself.

It might have been Colin Spencer. He did some limited TV work back in the 80s (and perhaps earlier too).

I have one of his recipes in front of me for garlic soup - he says that he once made this soup with no less than 250 cloves of garlic ….

It might have been Colin Spencer. He did some limited TV work back in the 80s (and perhaps earlier too).

Whoever it was, he was trying to prove to a member of the audience (who abhorred garlic) that it didn't taste of garlic. Seemed like a wasted effort to me.

[PS - she said the chicken was lovely - well she would wouldn't she?]

We have a garlic cookbook somewhere inherited from Craig's late brother that I think came about from the Gilroy Garlic Festival. It has a recipe for garlic fudge...

I like to use the larger heads like Yorky does (as does Craig) because the smaller heads have smaller cloves, which means more peeling. I also tend to be a bit liberal with garlic usage.

It has a recipe for garlic fudge...

I have to say - that sounds horrible! But then I'm not a fan of fudge in the first place.

I think I've got a garlic book somewhere but its quite a small book and far as I remember has nothing very experimental.

Craig's brother made some and fed it to unsuspecting people. Apparently, it's quite different as he got his jollies from watching people's reactions, but he was like that. He also loved to tell groaner jokes.

Back
Top Bottom