Garlic powder & onion powder

Yep burgers are another thing that the dried onions and garlic are good for - basically I use them where I want the flavour but not the wetness that comes with the fresh alternatives.
Am I the only one who thinks that dried onion tastes very different from fresh? I like both. Garlic flavor is more true to either fresh or dried, but not onions. To me.

To me, dried onions, even when rehydrated in water, are very strong-flavored.
I have used them mixed in with hamburger meat or in broth/soup before, but can't say I have ever rehydrated them in them in water myself.

I use dried a lot in spice rubs, where I don't want to potentially burn something fresh, but there are definitely times when I'm in a hurry and just grab the powder instead of chopping something fresh.

What about ginger powder? Do you have that?
Ginger powder? Have not seen it. But will pay attention next time while shopping.
Is it also very common in the Us?

It might be a North American thing. I've not seen too many spice combinations or recipes from other Countries that use either. As far as replacements for their counterparts only garlic powder is relatively close depending on the application, onion powder and ginger powder are meh. I put both in a flour blend and the wet marinade for cauliflower karaage. Don't use it anywhere else.
In a flour blend? That is interesting. Will look up.

Try Amazon. They got some. I just got some onion & garlic powder from there. Get the granulated kind. Not the actual powder. It keeps on lumping up!!! :whistling:
Yeah,will do Amazon or a local provider online, I have been wrapped up in my misty wobbly of not feeling well day in day out...and I thought dried shallot stems might work as a sub, but, on 2nd thought, will get the ingredient true to recipe...

I don't know if they have Amazon in Croatia.
Amazon delivers to Croatia.
The fastest delivery (3-4 days) is from Amazon Germany.
I got my eyewear glass cleaning spray fairly recently delivered that way.
I will look into in country online providers too.

We can get garlic powder, that really is a fine powder, plus dried garlic like the above pictures, plus granules that are 2 to 3 times bigger than the above pics. I don't like the powder form as it just doesn't taste like much to me, besides the fact that I'm not used to using it. It was bought by mistake, just grabbed the container without really looking and it was the wrong one.

They also have the onion powder form I noticed. Not going to try it since I don't like the garlic powder, but it's there. We keep the onion granules and flakes in the pantry.

Somebody mentioned you don't need the dried forms to make Cajun food. Most of the recipes we make use the dried forms in the spice mixes, as well as fresh. I think the dried forms add flavor without the extra volume and wetness, also mentioned previously, of the fresh forms.
Yes, I will put some more effort and find the onion powder,certainly.
It is an interesting discovery journey.
In the biobio shop, although they had no thyme, I discovered the rice syrup.

In a newly opened small eco shop in the neighbouring hood, they had thyme and shallot stems dried, and lots of fresh veges, homebaked breads,and I never saw the shop before.

In the local Lidl the spices section is fairly small, but we were thrilled, my daughter and me by the fresh sardines they offered.

The bigger supermarket Spar in the next hood did not have onion powder, but I got the other kind of thyme(majčina dušica), forgot the Latin name.

The nearby Konzum had all the other spices, and the cute little glass jars I bought for storing the spice mix later, so that was cool...

Just ordered onion powder (+ baharat spice blend+orange blossom mint tea) online in country. No problem . Harissa spice store, link below.
Yes,you can call me oldfashioned for looking in store first.🤓

Good store, lots of curry powders, even a green one, which I knew nothing of...

Harissa Spice Store - Početna

Back
Top Bottom