Garlic powder & onion powder

Its difficult to find in Europe as is garlic powder. I've had to order both on line.
Easy to find here, provided you have acces to restaurant stores or Asian stores. And Asian stores are almost everywhere except the smaller villages. It's pure garlic powder, not mixed with salt. I always buy the restaurant size cannisters like this one:

I go through about 2 a year of that. And I use fresh garlic too. It depens on what is appropriate for the recipe. For some dishes I use both!

I was surprised to learn these are items are hard to find in some countries. Here in Portugal every supermarket sells both onion and garlic powder and there's a variety of branded and generic versions, with the latter being very cheap. You can't have it all...some of you get the cool Ben&Jerry flavors we get the onion and garlic powder! :laugh:

Granulated garlic? That's what I use. I get Kirkland Granulated California Garlic from COSTCO. Great flavor.

CD
I'm assuming, when MrsDangermouse said "granules," that she meant something with a larger...grain?...than straight-up powdered garlic. I think granules/granulated is just a coarser version of powdered. I've only ever seen/bought powdered garlic.

Here's what I have right now:

[Mod.Edit: This and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Not able to find dried onion powder at all?

Try Amazon. They got some. I just got some onion & garlic powder from there. Get the granulated kind. Not the actual powder. It keeps on lumping up!!! :whistling:

I'm assuming, when MrsDangermouse said "granules," that she meant something with a larger...grain?...than straight-up powdered garlic. I think granules/granulated is just a coarser version of powdered. I've only ever seen/bought powdered garlic.

Here's what I have right now:
View attachment 67818

View attachment 67819
Yep granules are coarser than powder.... I'd describe powder as a similar consistency to flour, whereas granules would be more like polenta/cornmeal.

I've also seen "chopped" dried garlic and onions which are even larger pieces and which definitely need grinding up before using!

Yep granules are coarser than powder.... I'd describe powder as a similar consistency to flour, whereas granules would be more like polenta/cornmeal.

I've also seen "chopped" dried garlic and onions which are even larger pieces and which definitely need grinding up before using!
Yep those are available here too. I prefer the powder though.

Try Amazon. They got some. I just got some onion & garlic powder from there. Get the granulated kind. Not the actual powder. It keeps on lumping up!!! :whistling:
I don't know if they have Amazon in Croatia.

The chopped dried onions sound like onion flakes over here. Those can be rehydrated and used as-is. They have a more concentrated onion flavor than fresh onions. If you have had a McD's Big Mac, you have had rehydrated onion flakes.

CD

The chopped dried onions sound like onion flakes over here. Those can be rehydrated and used as-is. They have a more concentrated onion flavor than fresh onions. If you have had a McD's Big Mac, you have had rehydrated onion flakes.

CD
Yep burgers are another thing that the dried onions and garlic are good for - basically I use them where I want the flavour but not the wetness that comes with the fresh alternatives.

We can get garlic powder, that really is a fine powder, plus dried garlic like the above pictures, plus granules that are 2 to 3 times bigger than the above pics. I don't like the powder form as it just doesn't taste like much to me, besides the fact that I'm not used to using it. It was bought by mistake, just grabbed the container without really looking and it was the wrong one.

They also have the onion powder form I noticed. Not going to try it since I don't like the garlic powder, but it's there. We keep the onion granules and flakes in the pantry.

Somebody mentioned you don't need the dried forms to make Cajun food. Most of the recipes we make use the dried forms in the spice mixes, as well as fresh. I think the dried forms add flavor without the extra volume and wetness, also mentioned previously, of the fresh forms.

Back
Top Bottom