Garlic powder

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:40 PM
I've been conducting a little research regarding stir fried beef cubes and keep coming across garlic powder or garlic salt. I've never used either (I'm not sure that they're available here) only garlic chopped, minced or pureed. Fresh garlic is available here in abundance so should I look for garlic powder?

stir fried beef cubes

What are stir fried beef cubes? Never heard of them.

Re garlic powder - I started using it recently. I'd always regarded it as a lazy shortcut. But then I realised that huge packs were sold in Asian shops very cheaply and that Indians often add it to curry so I thought I'd try it. Its actually really useful. Its ver pungent and a little goes a long way. A teaspoon added to stews or sauces really gives them a boost. The other day I mixed some into mashed potatoes (raw garlic mixed in wouldn't have worked) with delicious results. I also add it to burger mixtures and salad dressings.

Garlic powder seems to be much more a regular store cupboard staple in the US than UK. I'd say Its definitely worth having in the store cupboard. Ditto for onion powder for the same reasons.

Can't cook Cajun food without it in the spice mix. Most BBQ rubs and sauces call for it. For mashed potatoes, I put several whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes when cooking them, but for something like stir fry its got to be fresh garlic.

What are stir fried beef cubes? Never heard of them.

I have some cubed trimmed beef in the freezer left over from something. Basically it's just stir fried beef with onions, garlic, soy sauce and I use Worcestershire sauce. Good with mashed spuds.

For mashed potatoes, I put several whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes when cooking them

Yep - that works too. Adding garlic powder afterwards gives a different flavour though. I like both.

I certainly wouldn't use garlic powder in a stir-fry either.

I have some cubed trimmed beef in the freezer left over from something. Basically it's just stir fried beef with onions, garlic, soy sauce and I use Worcestershire sauce. Good with mashed spuds.

Oh - see. I thought you meant there were little cubes (like OXO stock cubes) used for stir frying! :laugh:

For mashed potatoes, I put several whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes when cooking them.......

I've never tried that. I just chop or mince the garlic and introduce it into the mashing process. Do you use the boiled water for mashing the potatoes?

I've never tried that. I just chop or mince the garlic and introduce it into the mashing process. Do you use the boiled water for mashing the potatoes?

I drain then mash adding butter and heavy cream. The water was salted so no need for extra salt. If I add pepper, I use white. Sometimes I'll put the potatoes back in the empty pot and place them back on the turned off burner to dry further before mashing. The garlic gets mashed with the potatoes if I'm using it. If I feel like it, I'll rice the potatoes instead of using a masher. Butter is your friend!:okay:

I will use powder in the egg mix for a French tomato omelet.

Last edited:
I drain then mash adding butter and heavy cream. The water was salted so no need for extra salt. If I add pepper, I use white. Sometimes I'll put the potatoes back in the empty pot and place them back on the turned off burner to dry further before mashing. The garlic gets mashed with the potatoes if I'm using it. If I feel like it, I'll rice the potatoes instead of using a masher. Butter is your friend!:okay:

I will use powder in the egg mix for a French tomato omelet.

Ditto to putting pot back on to get rid of moisture, ditto cream and butter, lots of butter. I sometimes add a bit of finely chopped onion. Everyone loves my mashed spuds.

Russ

Actually, I've discovered that the cubed beef that I thought I had is minced beef.

It will likely be made into a cottage pie at the weekend.

Cod with mashed potatoes tomorrow.

Its ver pungent and a little goes a long way.
This is why I avoid it, except in situations @CraigC mentioned (as a rub). It's very easy to overdo it, and then overpower the food. Whereas fresh garlic can be roasted to mellow it out if it's integrated, garlic powder or garlic salt don't give you that option.

I've been conducting a little research regarding stir fried beef cubes and keep coming across garlic powder or garlic salt. I've never used either (I'm not sure that they're available here) only garlic chopped, minced or pureed. Fresh garlic is available here in abundance so should I look for garlic powder?

In stir-frys, I prefer fresh. Is the powder being used in a marinade for the beef? There are some advantages and disadvantages to powdered. Fresh is best, but in a pinch, powdered may work depending on when you add it. Added at the end, the powdery taste can be off-putting. However, I've read folks add it to popcorn. Not sure at what stage. If you want a not so in your face garlic flavor, powder might be better. Then again, you can roast a whole head of garlic and use it on bread. A fresh cut clove is nice rubbed on bread or in a serving bowl for hot pasta. I stay away from garlic salt because of the salt factor. Same for any spice mixes premade in a jar. Rather have fresh. Your call.

I don't think I ever use garlic powder instead of fresh - it has a very different taste and smell so for me they aren't direct substitutes for each other. I mostly use the powder in dry rubs and as a background seasoning as @morning glory says in sauces or stews. Added to mayonnaise it makes a nice mild garlic dip.

This thread has got me thinking....the wild garlic is now out in the garden, I wonder if there's a recipe uses all 3 garlic variations: fresh, wild and powdered?

In the past, I've used several recipes from Kikkoman for stir-frys etc. For the most part they use fresh, as do I - "preferred." Not either or. Powdered can burn, as well. You might enjoy looking at their recipes on their global site. If you search there for "garlic" for example, there's a plethora of yummy recipes. Go to the Cookbook section…

Back
Top Bottom