General knife talk

Do you mean in the handle? They're definitely 3 bigger rivets attaching the tang firmly to the scale (handle). The others are either a) rough and ready rivets rather than well made to be honest. They should be flat to the handle to make a smooth joint. Or b) holes as you suggest.

I think nothing is attaching the handle. Cant see any rivets at all - it looks like a knife made in one piece. And those 'circles' are holes in the blade as Master Cutler has confirmed. Not an unusual thing - I think its done to make the knife lighter whilst retaining it cutting ability.

I think nothing is attaching the handle. Cant see any rivets at all - it looks like a knife made in one piece. And those 'circles' are holes in the blade as Master Cutler has confirmed. Not an unusual thing - I think its done to make the knife lighter whilst retaining it cutting ability.
In daylight I can just about make out what your 'seeing'. I had 'seen' a different colour where the handle/scale should be and actually isn't.

It could also be a knife blank. Knife makers (not the big professionals but people in their garages) don't always make their own blade and just buy blanks to add a handle to, but I don't think they normally come pre drilled with holes in the tang , so I'd seen a handle and rivets through holding on, where as it's actually the tang being used as a handle instead.

I found a very expensive outdoor knife, carved walnut handle, after I jumped a gate in Scotland one time for a call of nature. Seemed that it's original owner must have done the same but without having secured the knife. The blade of the knife was engraved by its manufacturer so I was able to contact him to see if anyone had lost theirs (buying a new one from him was a telephone job so he would have been aware if they had lost one, they hadn't). For my honesty, he had me return it to him and he renovated the handle and have me a new sheath for it. It's a beautiful blade, but a little too thick for my liking. It's an outdoor knife, so the thickness is to allow it to split wood without breaking which it does. But I no longer use it. I used it the most when cycling around the world. It's not seen much use since then.

It needs a really good clean though. Whatever it was used for last time around has stained the metal and I can't now get it off. I don't have the ability to grind and polish except my hand, and that will ruin the polish on the blade sadly.

Last edited:
Regarding unusual knives, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this one. I found it in my youngest daughter's garden when I was cutting the grass. It was tucked away in the grass at the base of the front wall, next to the pavement. There is a pub and restaurant next door to her house and several cafes near by. It has a quality feel about it but no markings to indicate if it is a professional one or just home made. Any ideas will be most welcome.View attachment 88730
I am pretty sure this is a cheese knife. At first glance the lack of handle material makes it seem as though the left section with holes should have been the handle, but it is indeed the cutting edge. I'm not a fan of naked metal handles like this one has on the right side of the picture, but some people fancy that style (Global knives has a whole series like that).

Confirmed, here is the listing online: Stainless Steel SOFT CHEESE KNIFE 9"

I am pretty sure this is a cheese knife. At first glance the lack of handle material makes it seem as though the left section with holes should have been the handle, but it is indeed the cutting edge. I'm not a fan of naked metal handles like this one has on the right side of the picture, but some people fancy that style (Global knives has a whole series like that).

Confirmed, here is the listing online: Stainless Steel SOFT CHEESE KNIFE 9"
That's fantastic info, many thanks. Makes perfect sense when reading the description on the web link.

I found a very expensive outdoor knife, carved walnut handle, after I jumped a gate in Scotland one time for a call of nature. Seemed that it's original owner must have done the same but without having secured the knife. The blade of the knife was engraved by its manufacturer so I was able to contact him to see if anyone had lost theirs (buying a new one from him was a telephone job so he would have been aware if they had lost one, they hadn't). For my honesty, he had me return it to him and he renovated the handle and have me a new sheath for it. It's a beautiful blade, but a little too thick for my liking. It's an outdoor knife, so the thickness is to allow it to split wood without breaking which it does. But I no longer use it. I used it the most when cycling around the world. It's not seen much use since then.

It needs a really good clean though. Whatever it was used for last time around has stained the metal and I can't now get it off. I don't have the ability to grind and polish except my hand, and that will ruin the polish on the blade sadly.

View attachment 88764

View attachment 88765
That’s a woodlore style knife! Nice. Who is the maker?

Just to let you know, my knife sharpening system results in the best edge I've sharpened by myself, with nearly nothing to learn and remember. Just make sure your knife has been sharpened by a professional before, because most knives are not sharpened properly by their company.
I don’t have to focus on the grind anymore and can even listen to podcasts or have a conversation while doing my knives.

The more known Work Sharp Precision Adjust works the same.

I use the Edge-Pro doohickey to sharpen my knives. and I keep a log of what 'settings' aka 'angles'
I use a 10x loupe to see/evaluate what I'm doing/have done.

for 10 years I did the free hand stone thing - never managed to impress myself.
the Edge-Pro is far superior for establishing a consistent edge - and the cutting performance of the same knives speaks to the doohickey's ability to produce a bad-xss edge.

there are any number of similar sharpening gadgets. since I don't sharpen knives on a weekly/daily basis and don't have 30 years to perfect my skills . . . these styles of guided sharpening devices are a real boon.

chef's: 10 + 8 + 6
slicers: 10 + 8 + 6
plus santoku, boning, , , and misc paring, etc etc

Back
Top Bottom