General knife talk

Ok, I think you meant the actual sharpened edge of the knife. It would depend on how much it was bent over but a steel can reform to a very small degree the cutting edge to make it sharper but is pretty much incapable of taking out an actual bend of the cutting edge and would probably need a stone of other intervention to fix it properly. I would just refer that to having a very dull blade and not really a deformation.

Ok, I think you meant the actual sharpened edge of the knife. It would depend on how much it was bent over but a steel can reform to a very small degree the cutting edge to make it sharper but is pretty much incapable of taking out an actual bend of the cutting edge and would probably need a stone of other intervention to fix it properly. I would just refer that to having a very dull blade and not really a deformation.
Bingo, I meant just a rolled edge of the knife.
Poor choice of words in my original post, I didn't mean for that to get confused with a serious defect.

FYI ...

In my web surfing, I came across information regarding knives created from metal salvaged from the sunk Nazi battleship Tirpitz in the Norwegian Fjord where it was sunk by British Lancaster bombers in 1943. Tirpitz was sister ship to the Bismarck.

The Norwegian Company Boeker has been salvaging steel from Tirpitz, folding it with high carbon steel to create what they call Damascus steel, from which they create a number of collectible folding pocket knives. The Boeker Damascus Tirpitz knives are not cheap, running about $500 USD.

boker_tirpitz_damascus_knives_5.jpg

Photo is courtesy of Boeker Tirpitz Knives.

FYI ...

In my web surfing, I came across information regarding knives created from metal salvaged from the sunk Nazi battleship Tirpitz in the Norwegian Fjord where it was sunk by British Lancaster bombers in 1943. Tirpitz was sister ship to the Bismarck.

The Norwegian Company Boeker has been salvaging steel from Tirpitz, folding it with high carbon steel to create what they call Damascus steel, from which they create a number of collectible folding pocket knives. The Boeker Damascus Tirpitz knives are not cheap, running about $500 USD.

View attachment 80208

Photo is courtesy of Boeker Tirpitz Knives.
A unique selling proposition if indeed that is accurate.
I have seen folded steel knives with quite a wide range of dollar value. I even know a guy in Orlando that buys blanks and grinds them down into custom order knives (kitchen knives and folding knives) with custom handles of varying material. Trust me, they're not cheap either...
EDWARD R KNIVES
His website needs to be updated, but that first image that comes up gives you an idea of his handiwork.

A unique selling proposition if indeed that is accurate.
I have seen folded steel knives with quite a wide range of dollar value. I even know a guy in Orlando that buys blanks and grinds them down into custom order knives (kitchen knives and folding knives) with custom handles of varying material. Trust me, they're not cheap either...
EDWARD R KNIVES
His website needs to be updated, but that first image that comes up gives you an idea of his handiwork.
Yeah, very interesting. My EDC is locally made and fairly cheap. I also have a bushcraft that I've had for years. Love knives.

I wanted to do this, but I have cats and hopefully one day small humans.
If I had cats that liked to get up high enough to be close to my knives, I'd employ a spray bottle of cold water frequently!

I use a knife block because I have a rolling choppjng island with no place close enough to hang a magnetic strip. My sister-in-law has one and it looks cool, though.

If I had cats that liked to get up high enough to be close to my knives, I'd employ a spray bottle of cold water frequently!
Doesn't stop them from going up there in the middle of the night, trust me I've set up cameras to record their hijinks in the past!
I use a knife block because I have a rolling choppjng island with no place close enough to hang a magnetic strip. My sister-in-law has one and it looks cool, though.
The knife block does a good job of protecting the edges of the knives, and much better than my old drawer of assorted knives where they were resting atop one another.

Doesn't stop them from going up there in the middle of the night, trust me I've set up cameras to record their hijinks in the past!

The knife block does a good job of protecting the edges of the knives, and much better than my old drawer of assorted knives where they were resting atop one another.
Agred, I like my knife block. I have other utensils in my drawers.

I could buy some decent knives through a customer reward system today. Money being tight these were welcome .
View attachment 83606

I already own a few chef victorinox knives, but these were welcome too.
I used a standard Wüsthof chef’s knife for years, like the one on the right there, and I still use it, but a few years ago, I got a free (!) Wüsthof Santoku knife, and I have to say, that’s the one I reach for 8 times out of 10.

I used a standard Wüsthof chef’s knife for years, like the one on the right there, and I still use it, but a few years ago, I got a free (!) Wüsthof Santoku knife, and I have to say, that’s the one I reach for 8 times out of 10.
Yeah I still use my Victorinox the most too, but having some backup is nice. Wustoff has a good reputation.

I'm curious about Santoku knives, I never had one before. Glad to hear you love it so much!

I'm curious about Santoku knives, I never had one before. Glad to hear you love it so much!
I’m interested to find out how you like it. It feels a lot like a sportier knife, if that’s a good way to say it. It’s nimble.

I’m interested to find out how you like it. It feels a lot like a sportier knife, if that’s a good way to say it. It’s nimble.
I think that's a good way to describe it. Sometimes with a long pointy chef's knife, I feel like I may be clumsy with it, especially if my workspace is cramped. So I love my shorter Santoku knives.

i'm a knife person thru and thru. i dont have a set. like my pots/pans my stuff is non-matching and very random.

i use my cleaver most times, but here are some of my things. that 10" chef's knife has been with me a very very long time. i got it in college and it has served me well. a Wustof Classic. i did play with the Gyoto a bit, but it is so light and whimical. it doenst match my hamfisted bash-style in the kitchen.

knif.jpg

Back
Top Bottom