General knife talk

Thank you very much caseydog I like Viktorinox, they have good standards, but my next knife will be hand-forged, if nothing goes wrong. When it comes to rather cheap knifes I can suggest you these companies besides Viktorinox, Fiskars and F. Dick

lastmanstanding wow, I thought it would be around 40-50$.
Stay healthy

Last edited:
Stay healthy
For that quality I can easily say it's worth that much. I remember it was equivalent to 20 - 21 USD when I bought it. That was 6 years ago.
I always use full tang knives only. It doesn't matter how cheap and how good a knife is if it's not full tang. :)
Hand forged knives online are very expensive, I mean the real ones. For me, I can get one made by a blacksmith for around 10 USD, and I can give him a piece of metal I like too. They are not aesthetically perfect like online knives but it does the job.

I looked on the hompages from different small, independent knife makers here in germany and many of them offered fancy knives with luxurious handles and damascus steel. That's not what I want, I'm searching the best possible steel for the lowest price, hand hammered and formed from a package of steel. I'm still not sure if I should take carbon steel or stainless steel, both have good arguments. Stay healthy

Thank you very much caseydog I like Viktorinox, they have good standards, but my next knife will be hand-forged, if nothing goes wrong. When it comes to rather cheap knifes I can suggest you these companies besides Viktorinox, Fiskars and F. Dick

Stay healthy

My kitchen scissors are Fiskars. I honestly did not know they made knives. If I had the excess money to have a hand-forged knife, it would be made by Bob Kramer. This is an amazing video, watch it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuToSTnZTTY

CD

Last edited:
I use this 90% of the time. 90% of my knives I use for the other 10% of the time.

C6A927F2-0F38-433A-A954-17DB66AC548A.jpeg

The top knife is a Henckels knife. It cost me $45, but the list price is over $100. It's ridiculously sharp, can cut through anything like butter. I hardly ever use it. I had it in my cutlery drawer, and I had to hide it because I was worried my kids might accidentally sever a limb with it. To be honest, it's overkill for most tasks, and my biggest fear is dulling that amazing edge by overuse on something mundane.

The other knife is one I bought from Kroger for less than $10. I have no idea what brand it is: I guess the knife manufacturers need a certain budget to print the name on the blade. It seems to hold enough of an edge that is perfectly good for just about any task. I also have other boring generic German-style kitchen knifes that I use when chopping is required. You don't need a fancy knife to chop.

Does anyone else do this? Do you keep your expensive knives like a fancy car that you park in the garage because you're afraid to chip the paint?

Last edited:
Does anyone else do this? Do you keep your expensive knives like a fancy car that you park in the garage because you're afraid to chip the paint?
No, not at all. I want the best knife I can afford, and I want it so sharp, it'll cut through diamonds.

I was watching an interview with Pepin once, and someone asked, "You're known for your calm manner - does anything ever make you angry?"

Without hesitation, he said, "A dull knife!"

I have a six-inch Henckels chef's knife and an eight-inch Victorinox chef's knife side by side in my knife drawer. They are both good knives, although there was a considerable difference in price. The one I grab about 80-percent of the time is the Victorinox. I just like the way if feels in my hand.

No matter how much you pay for a knife, if it doesn't feel right in your hand, you bought the wrong knife, IMO.

CD

No, not at all. I want the best knife I can afford, and I want it so sharp, it'll cut through diamonds.

I was watching an interview with Pepin once, and someone asked, "You're known for your calm manner - does anything ever make you angry?"

Without hesitation, he said, "A dull knife!"

My dad can dull knives faster than anyone I know. I have no idea how he does it. He cuts on a good wooden cutting board. He washes them by hand and stores them in a wooden knife block. But somehow, they get dull.

About once a year, when I am visiting them, I bring my knife sharpening gear, because I know I will be cooking at least one meal, and I know his knives will be dull.

CD

I have two chef's knives, both with 200mm (8" blades).

A "Tramontina" made in Brazil from German steel (?).

A Villeroy and Boch "Vivo" made in Germany.

I use the former for everything from carving meat to slicing tiny cloves of garlic. It cost in the region of US$ 60.00.

The latter was "free" as part of a promotion by a local supermarket (collect stickers for prizes) and hardly ever gets used. It's still in the box. I probably wouldn't own this one had it not been for the promotion.

Back
Top Bottom