General knife talk

I thought about buying one of those edge pro like sharpeners someday, but right now I'm happy with my whetstone, even when my knives are looking rather strange after honing them often.
Stay healthy

I am considering a meat cleaver and the Imarku 7" meat cleaver has my interest.

It has very good ratings and good write ups.

Do any members know of any better?

I don't own a cleaver and the one at work isn't used often, but it's a heavy one and you really should use it only for slicing through meat with bones, and not like a chef knife. The references on amazon say they use it for all kind of works in the kitchen and that it's very light, the only thing our cleaver is used for, except for crushing bones, is to hammer it through frozen onion soup.
Stay healthy

Imarku makes both - and whole knife sets.

Is the Imarku the one you have?

I don't own a cleaver and the one at work isn't used often, but it's a heavy one and you really should use it only for slicing through meat with bones, and not like a chef knife. The references on amazon say they use it for all kind of works in the kitchen and that it's very light, the only thing our cleaver is used for, except for crushing bones, is to hammer it through frozen onion soup.
Stay healthy

I have a cleaver, although I don't recall the brand. I bought it for one purpose, cutting up chicken. It does a great job for that.

CD

For me, the best are German knives. I love my J.A. Henckels knife.

j.a.-henckels-international.jpg

I use different knives but in my opinion, Japanese knives are best, they are very smooth that my talent of cooking and cutting is enhanced by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife was watching a video about a $500 knife on YouTube last night and it got me thinking about my knives. Glad to find this thread already exists. I'll bump this old thread so I can reply later when I can take a picture or two. I've never had a knife block of matching knives; I have a real hodgepodge of different blades ranging from $20 to $200+
My favorite is a Shun Santoku, but because of its heavy use (and my carelessness) its seen better days. It now has a rounded tip and, thanks to several chips, I've spent a good amount of time with it on a sharpening stone.

Back
Top Bottom