General knife talk

20210621_164304.jpg

The most used knives in the picture above are the 5-inch santokus, and I prefer the Shun over the Calphalon, it just feels better in the hand.
The least used knives are the cleaver on the left and the genuine Japanese sushi knife at the top of the frame (purchased on a trip to Japan in 2019).
The Tramontina on the right is my standard bread knife, but I could probably use an upgrade there.

Please, what make is the second knife down from the top, between the sushi knife and the 5" santoku?
It looks like it's a Japanese knife with a western chef's type blade, and a decent handle
I've tried Japanese knives but I don't like the simple, straight handles, and that looks like it has a more shaped/contoured handle

For a bread knife, Search Google for a knife with a Granton Edge,
This is a scalloped edge originally developed by the Granton Company of Sheffield; once you see it you'll recognise it in other brands of knives as well, though I'm not sure how common it will be in the USA

The Granton Edge is more aggressive than a simple edge, but not as serrated as most bread knives, so it is less likely to leave crumbs.
You should sharpen a Granton Edge on a steel

Please, what make is the second knife down from the top, between the sushi knife and the 5" santoku?
It looks like it's a Japanese knife with a western chef's type blade, and a decent handle
I've tried Japanese knives but I don't like the simple, straight handles, and that looks like it has a more shaped/contoured handle

This is a scalloped edge originally developed by the Granton Company of Sheffield; once you see it you'll recognise it in other brands of knives as well, though I'm not sure how common it will be in the USA

The Granton Edge is more aggressive than a simple edge, but not as serrated as most bread knives, so it is less likely to leave crumbs.

Looks to be both of them from the same maker, as the handles on both of them look the same, only one is smaller. :whistling:

Thank you for the tip on the Granton Edged knife, I will look into it.

As Shermie said, the second knife from the top is indeed another from Shun. One thing I don't like about Shun's marketing is that they market different collections to William Sonoma vs Sur La Table (both US retailers), sometimes hard to find a match if you don't keep shopping at the same retailer, but I think the knife in question is a Shun Kaji 8-inch Chefs Knife.

I finally got a santoku knife and a nikiri knife with a palm plate.

In the same order, I got a new cutting board and a dual (coarse and fine) knife sharpener.

I saw this on offer a couple of weeks ago, so that was my Christmas present to myself

It's sharp, well made, and comfortable to hold & use
If I didn't have plenty of knives already I'd be happy enough to get more Pro Cook knives, probably from the top end of their range
It's very similar to Tsuki 7 knives and some Eden knives from www.knivesandtools.com; wouldn't surprise me if they were all made in the same factory in China

Professional X50 Chefs Knife

Following on from this, I've just had a look at Nisbets website

It looks like Tsuki are now owned or distributed by Vogue, and there are various offers on both Vogue and Tsuki knives
No doubt there will be other offers on other makes, but you can go on & on for ever
Just remember to check that Nisbets prices are with or without VAT

Back
Top Bottom