General knife talk

PabloLerntKochen

Über Member
Local time
11:40 AM
I've searched for a general thread just for knives and couldn't find one, so I opened one for nice conversations and exchange of informations about knives.

Here is my small collection
img_20210123_1049571927284520328043833.jpg

Thomas bread knife~ 40€, Tramontina bread knife?, Wüsthof chef knife ~65€, very cheap chef-knife knife~5€, Zwilling petty-knife~45€, WMF Santoku~75€, Fiskars deboner ~30€, Wüsthof office knife 5€, Tucan office knife 9€, from top to bottom.

As a german, I'm very proud of our knives, but in my opinion every knife is a good knife and every knife maker is a good knife maker. There are some cool knives out there, but they are to expensive for me, right now I'm looking for an office knife with a length of 12cm.

What knives do you have, are you sharpening them by yourself, what kind of knife would you like to buy in the future?
Stay healthy

I'm pretty easily pleased - basically I use one main super sharp knife (a Chinese style cleaver type with a metal handle) for almost all slicing and chopping, a serrated bread knife and also a small serrated knife.

This is a thread I was looking for too. I have 2 knives here at the moment where I am, and got 2 more at another place. My favourite is a heavy cleaver, extremely sharp, suitable for fine cutting as well as heavy work. It's a Chinese one but for the price it's the bargain of the knife world.

My favourite is a heavy cleaver, extremely sharp, suitable for fine cutting as well as heavy work. It's a Chinese one but for the price it's the bargain of the knife world.

Sounds like the one I use. I like the way you can scoop chopped things onto the broad flat blade for adding to the pan.

Great topic idea! I just ordered / obtained some new knives, in part as a Christmas gift to myself. I'll get some photos up, mostly of the new blades, later today or tomorrow.

The new ones include two Dalstrong knives in the "Shogun Series": a mini cleaver and a boning knife, using the Japanese angle of edge.

And from Wusthoff, a German brand: a carving knife, paring knife, bread knife and a chef's knife, the latter of which nearly made me chuck it as it sliced (quite painlessly) a segment of skin off my left index finger, which I'm still keeping wrapped. Lots of blood...

I desperately need some new knives - my current ones are really cheap ones I bought about 15 years ago and they don't hold a sharp edge very well at all. I've been considering the best thing to do for a couple of years because I'm quite fussy. I don't like knives with separate handles, I want them to be all-in-one (like the top knife in the initial post). If money was no object then I'd buy a set of Global GS series knives....I find the handles a very comfortable shape and I like the style (style is as important to me as function because I have a magnetic knife rack on the wall so they're always on display). But Global knives are just too expensive :(

I do like the look of WMF's Chef's Edition knives though and I almost bought a set a couple of years ago (at the time couldn't justify the expenditure). I was hoping to have another look back in December on our annual trip to Köln, but sadly Covid prevented that trip. Maybe if we are allowed to travel this year.....

My knives are all Wüsthof Classics, and I love them. All but the Santoku knife are 25+ years old - back when I wasn't a good enough cook to justify them, but MrsT got them for me.

The Santoku knife I got free through work, as a gift. The surprise of the bunch is the little serrated knife - it's sold as a sausage knife, but it's the first knife I reach for when I want to slice tomatoes.

I also have a serrated bread knife (also Wüsthof Classic) that didn't make the shot.

lastmanstanding you have a really beautiful knife. Most of the time I'm using just my wüsthof chef knife and my small office knife also from wüsthof.

MrsDangermouse the WMF Chef series knife has a really nice balance, maybe you will like "the knife" from güde as well.

TastyReuben your collection is just wow, it makes me proud that you're cutting with them for 25+ years so far.

Mountain Cat I'll be happy to see your knives.

The next knife I'll buy, could be handmade from a real blacksmith. I even could buy one from a local smither, but it may be to expensive right now. Stay healthy

I was born and raised in Chicago and so I got a Chicago Cutlery set. But to be honest, the knife I use 99.9% of the time is the Chef's Knife. I haven't had much use for the Bread Knife yet and the Paring Knives seem to escape usage. Steak Knives? I haven't used any of them either, after all, I'm a lone wolf and oddly enough have used a butter knife to cut meats. Is that stupid? It works.

@TastyReuben your collection is just wow, it makes me proud that you're cutting with them for 25+ years so far.
Thanks very much. I forgot to add a couple of things: I use a steel fairly regularly, but do get them professionally sharpened once a year, in October, just before the holiday cooking frenzy.

Year before last, I was picking them up from being sharpened, and there happened to be a Wüsthof rep in the cook shop. The woman at the cash register commented that my knives looked well-used, and I glanced over at the Wüsthof woman and said something like, "I've had those knives 25 years and I use them every day, I won't have anything other than a Wüsthof knife."

She reached in her big case of samples, and I thought, "Hee-hee, it pays to butter up the rep, I'm about to get a free knife!" - and that's when she pulled out a crappy little rubbery squeezy stress ball thingy with "Wüsthof" written on it and gave that to me!" :laugh:

The two knives I use the most are one of the chef's knives and the paring knife.

lastmanstanding you have a really beautiful knife. Most of the time I'm using just my wüsthof chef knife and my small office knife also from wüsthof.
The knife is Lock & Lock Cookplus Rainbow. The best cheap knife you will ever find but unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere. It cost only around 20 USD. Now there are knife "sets" by them but that's different from this one. But if anyone can find one, buy it, it's worth.

I've searched for a general thread just for knives and couldn't find one, so I opened one for nice conversations and exchange of informations about knives.

Here is my small collection
View attachment 55586
Thomas bread knife~ 40€, Tramontina bread knife?, Wüsthof chef knife ~65€, very cheap chef-knife knife~5€, Zwilling petty-knife~45€, WMF Santoku~75€, Fiskars deboner ~30€, Wüsthof office knife 5€, Tucan office knife 9€, from top to bottom.

As a german, I'm very proud of our knives, but in my opinion every knife is a good knife and every knife maker is a good knife maker. There are some cool knives out there, but they are to expensive for me, right now I'm looking for an office knife with a length of 12cm.

What knives do you have, are you sharpening them by yourself, what kind of knife would you like to buy in the future?
Stay healthy

For reasonably priced, yet very good knives, take a look at Victorinox. I have been very pleased with mine.

Victorinox Chef's Knives ++ explore online ++

CD

Back
Top Bottom