Ingredients
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 TBsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup half-and-half
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBsp unsalted butter
1-1/4 lbs Granny Smith or Braeburn apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch sliced
1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp juice from 1 lemon
Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
Maple syrup for serving

Directions
Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 500F.

Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a second medium bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, and vanilla extract together until combined. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until no lumps remain, about 20 seconds. Set the batter aside.

Melt the butter in a 10-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently, until the apples are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice.

Working quickly, pour the batter around the edge of the pan and then over the apples. Place the skillet in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 425F. Bake until the pancake edges are brown and puffy and have risen above the edges of the skillet, about 18 minutes.

Remove the skillet from the oven and loosen the pancake edges with a heatproof spatula, invert the pancake onto the platter. Dust with confectioner's sugar, cut into wedges, and serve with maple syrup.

Recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Apples

One thing I'll add - bear in mind you'll be flipping the skillet in order to de-pan this (like a tatin), and I chose to do this in a 12" cast iron pan - I nearly had to call in help to get it done. Ripping hot pan that weighs a good bit, and I've got a seriously weakened right hand...I'm surprised it didn't end up on the floor.

yummy stuff that!
I've always thought it should be written
"German Apple Pan Cake" (Pfannkuchen) - it's almost a pastry type thing.

....adding apples to the list . . .

Back
Top Bottom