1 small onion , diced
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon caraway seeds1/2 small green cabbage , cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 small red cabbage , cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Granny Smith apple , cored and thinly sliced
1 red delicious apple , cored and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 cup grainy mustard
2 cups cooked egg noodles, packaged is fine, but homemade would be better (spatzle would work as well)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Sour cream (optional)

Directions
1) In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over high heat.
2) Add pork and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, about 5–7 minutes.
3) Add onions and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until translucent.
4) Add three cups of chicken broth and caraway seeds. Bring to a boil; reduce to low and cover. Cook for 3 hours on low; broth level should stay at about 1 inch inside the pot, add water if needed to maintain level.
5) Add cabbages and apples and continue to cook for 45 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth with mustard and parsley. Set aside.
7) Add noodles to stew and stir well; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
8) Serve hot; swirl mustard sauce on top or serve alongside with sour cream.

I fully expect the German cook would not use olive oil but pork fat and home-made Spetzle for the noodles. In my childhood home in South Wales there always seemed to be crocks of pork dripping and beef dripping, my mother never used oil unless it was to pour in someone's ear for ear-ache; and then it bought from the chemist in tiny phials!
What is kosher salt?

I fully expect the German cook would not use olive oil but pork fat and home-made Spetzle for the noodles. In my childhood home in South Wales there always seemed to be crocks of pork dripping and beef dripping, my mother never used oil unless it was to pour in someone's ear for ear-ache; and then it bought from the chemist in tiny phials!
What is kosher salt?

Don't forget there was quite a bit of Roman influence in western Europe. Unfortunately, it wasn't by choice.

Yes indeed, Maldon is sea salt and I have seen the area where it is made. In the Roman Empire soldiers were partly paid in salt. You might want to read about it here.

Ordinary table salt has all the traces of minerals stripped out of it. I don't usually use salt, but if I do it must be sea salt. You only have to use a tiny amount, and it seems to taste much better.

@morning glory Did you not watch James Martin this morning? They had roast shoulder of pork. He said to roast it for a minimum of 5 hours, and it looked absolutely mouth-wateringly gorgeous :happy:

Back
Top Bottom