Getting a new Digital Camera!

I'm the same, my pics are mainly from I pad, but mg takes such great shots I'm starting to use my phone more, then e mailing them to myself. Then posting. Phone is definitely better than I pad. Just more time. Or it might be I have to go upstairs to get phone, so I cheat. I do admire and appreciate people that take the time to get the money shot though. Mgs and a few others here are great.

Russ

I bought my first SLR in 1978 (Praktica). I upgraded to Pentax in 1981 and had 3 models at one time (ME, ME Super and A1). I used Pentax SLRs until 2003 when I decided to go digital (although I had a couple of Canon point and shoot digitals). I decided on Pentax again as I had 6 lenses with Pentax bayonets and a dedicated flash. The Pentax packed in in 2016 and the lenses were suffering from the high humidity so I changed to Canon DSLR (which I have had issues with). If I was buying afresh I would now look seriously at the mirrorless but my current Canon lenses would not fit (without adapters) so I would consider other brands also.

I cannot see the model number on the one that Shermie is proposing but my suggestion is to buy a model which has wi-fi which you can use to transfer images direct to your computer or smartphone without removing the SD card. Constant removal and reloading the SD cards can cause expensive internal problems with the contacts (which have occurred twice in my case).

Last edited:
I bought my first SLR in 1978 (Praktica). I upgraded to Pentax in 1981 and had 3 models at one time (ME, ME Super and A1). I used Pentax SLRs until 2003 when I decided to go digital (although I had a couple of Canon point and shoot digitals). I decided on Pentax again as I had 6 lenses with Pentax bayonets and a dedicated flash. The Pentax packed in in 2006 and the lenses were suffering from the high humidity so I changed to Canon DSLR (which I have had issues with). If I was buying afresh I would now look seriously at the mirrorless but my current Canon lenses would not fit (without adapters) so I would consider other brands also.

I cannot see the model number on the one that Shermie is proposing but my suggestion is to buy a model which has wi-fi which you can use to transfer images direct to your computer or smartphone without removing the SD card. Constant removal and reloading the SD cards can cause expensive internal problems with the contacts (which have occurred twice in my case).

I sold cameras in a camera store while in college. I sold a fair number of Pentax cameras. I had nothing bad to say about them -- they got the job done, and the prices were right.

In my early pro days, I shot Hasselblad and Sinar cameras. I also had a couple of Olympus 35mm cameras, because back then, they were outstanding cameras. The OM-1 was virtually bulletproof, and the metering system in the OM-2 was years ahead of the other brands. When Olympus got out of the professional marketplace, I switched to Nikon.

Today, the professional DLSR market is owned by Nikon and Canon. I like both brands, but I was more familiar with Nikon. But, like I said, I like Canon's consumer cameras better.

Last year, I bought a Sony mirrorless to experiment with. Hated it. I probably lost close to a thousand bucks selling it on eBay. It took good pictures, but it was very complicated to use. It was a techno-geek dream camera, but it made my brain hurt.

CD

I'm the same, my pics are mainly from I pad, but mg takes such great shots I'm starting to use my phone more, then e mailing them to myself. Then posting. Phone is definitely better than I pad. Just more time. Or it might be I have to go upstairs to get phone, so I cheat. I do admire and appreciate people that take the time to get the money shot though. Mgs and a few others here are great.

Russ

You should be able to transfer them directly onto your pc. The lead which you use to charge your phone can be connected to a pc and will transfer files across. Or are using an iPad to access CookingBites?

I used to use a Canon and then a Pentax - but frankly, for food photography I get much better results with my smartphone. Its much better in low light conditions and is pretty foolproof in terms of camera shake. But I'm talking about smartphones which are top of the range for cameras.

Currently the best are probably the Samsung Galaxy S10+, Huawei P30 Pro and iPhone.

I'm currently using a Galaxy S7 so its a few years old but considering upgrading to the S10+

I use the canon digital EOS some number or another for most of my photography- I now have a macro lens I should really use more often for food. Sometimes I do use the Samsung S7 phone camera, especially when away from home. Or when I can't immediately remember where I left the real camera, and I don't want dinner getting cold...

Nope. Photography is my full-time profession. I have a photo studio in my house, and a $6,000 camera. I don't put a great deal of effort into photographing food I am going to eat, since I want to take the pictures and EAT the food while it is warm. But, since the stuff is there, I use it.

I have a pretty simple one-light source setup that I can put together in a matter of minutes.
Love your set up! I need to work up something like that!

You should be able to transfer them directly onto your pc. The lead which you use to charge your phone can be connected to a pc and will transfer files across. Or are using an iPad to access CookingBites?

In my case, I have to mail the phone photos to myself... for some reason the laptop hangs up on the connection from the phone (but not from the Canon). I could post photos here from the phone, but since it is so much more easy to post the actual recipes from the laptop... that's where and when I add the photos.

Oh. And at home, it may take photos half a day to reach my laptop... vagaries of the satellite internet life!

In my case, I have to mail the phone photos to myself... for some reason the laptop hangs up on the connection from the phone (but not from the Canon). I could post photos here from the phone, but since it is so much more easy to post the actual recipes from the laptop... that's where and when I add the photos.

Oh. And at home, it may take photos half a day to reach my laptop... vagaries of the satellite internet life!

I mentioned before that I also have a lead connection fault so I now transfer photos direct from phone to memory stick. You simply need a USB Adaptor like this or similar. Very cheap! Its much quicker and easier than emailing. Plus, you then have back-up copies of the photos on the memory stick. Once they are on the memory stick you simply plug that into your computer's USB port.

I mentioned before that I also have a lead connection fault so I now transfer photos direct from phone to memory stick. You simply need a USB Adaptor like this or similar. Very cheap! Its much quicker and easier than emailing. Plus, you then have back-up copies of the photos on the memory stick. Once they are on the memory stick you simply plug that into your computer's USB port.

View attachment 33634ght it

I have something very similar to that but mine has a cable attached. Bht 29.00 (about 70 pence). I bought it to transfer and/or listen to USB stick stored music on my handphone but I've never used it.

Edit:

Last edited:

View attachment 33634
THanks, I'll look for this!

My pc in my office is set up for myob and invoicing etc. I don't use it for Internet or anything else. So it's easier to do it the way I do. Besides the office is cold in winter.

Russ

Love your set up! I need to work up something like that!

One of my mentors challenged me to do studio photos with one 100watt light bulb many years ago. One evening a few years ago, just for grins, I made up this simple and cheap lighting scheme. Just a table lamp, some scrap wood, and a white trash bag.

lights002.jpg

lights001.jpg

CD

One of my mentors challenged me to do studio photos with one 100watt light bulb many years ago. One evening a few years ago, just for grins, I made up this simple and cheap lighting scheme. Just a table lamp, some scrap wood, and a white trash bag.

View attachment 33652

View attachment 33653

CD
Yeah - diffusing the light will improve the effect of harsh shadows - but tungsten light is not ideal. It casts a orange/ yellowish tinge. I guess maybe the white bag has helped to tone down that effect. Good effort!

I tend shoot all food photos in daylight simply because its the easiest way to get a natural looking result.

Back
Top Bottom