Getting a new smoker: pellet smoker discussion welcome

It arrived this weekend!
View attachment 99144
View attachment 99145

Initial burn in and internal pics later. Maybe tonight, depending on weather.

I wish I would have taken pics of my Treager during its first use, but I was busy running for the garden hose to put out the four foot flames. :eek:

In fairness, my Weber gas grill caught on fire last summer, and it was pretty spectacular, but it was my fault. I let too much grease build up inside, and the grease ignited. :facepalm:

CD

It arrived this weekend!
View attachment 99144
View attachment 99145

Initial burn in and internal pics later. Maybe tonight, depending on weather.
Fowler: Hey, my new smoker arrived!!!!
Neighbor: That’s pretty nice. How’s your new baby doing?
Fowler: Great! Doing the initial burn tonight!
Neighbor: I meant your baby daughter!
Fowler: Huh? Daught…oh yeah…sure, she’s fine…look at all that cooking space, willya?! Yeah? Yeah!

:wink:

Fowler: Hey, my new smoker arrived!!!!
Neighbor: That’s pretty nice. How’s your new baby doing?
Fowler: Great! Doing the initial burn tonight!
Neighbor: I meant your baby daughter!
Fowler: Huh? Daught…oh yeah…sure, she’s fine…look at all that cooking space, willya?! Yeah? Yeah!

:wink:
Funny enough I got one of my neighbors involved to help me assemble it, so he'll at least know not to call the fire department when he sees all the smoke later :laugh:

I wish I would have taken pics of my Treager during its first use, but I was busy running for the garden hose to put out the four foot flames. :eek:

In fairness, my Weber gas grill caught on fire last summer, and it was pretty spectacular, but it was my fault. I let too much grease build up inside, and the grease ignited. :facepalm:

CD
Your experience still scares me CD, so I will have the fire extinguisher close to hand.
One thing I didn't expect though: All the videos I have seen online regarding grill cleaning show that a lot of ash builds up in the lower section and must be vacuumed/brushed every few cooks. I guess my shop-vac will get a lot of use going forward.

Your experience still scares me CD, so I will have the fire extinguisher close to hand.
One thing I didn't expect though: All the videos I have seen online regarding grill cleaning show that a lot of ash builds up in the lower section and must be vacuumed/brushed every few cooks. I guess my shop-vac will get a lot of use going forward.

Ash is not the biggest problem, and you can just brush that out. Grease buildup is what causes grill fires. Keep the greas drip hole clear, and the grease trap clean. If grease builds up, use something like a plastic putty knife to scrape it out. I didn't do that as often as I should have. The grill survived, I just had to open the lid and let it burn out. Lucky for me, there was no food on the grill when it caught on fire.

It is always a good idea to keep a garden hose near ANY grill when in use. Don't use a fire extinguisher -- that can ruin your grill. Water does the job. Just unplug your Treager before hitting it with water.

I have no idea why my Treager went up in flames the first time I used it.

Have fun!

CD

First meal on the Traeger: smoked ribeyes with herbed butter.

20230428_194247.jpg

My first cook took a looong time to preheat, so i have to see if that continues. Otherwise I'm happy with it.

Second cook with the Traeger was pork ribs (picture will be added shortly).
I was more impressed this second time around because the smoker temp stayed within 20 degrees of my desired setting despite outside conditions being typical Florida bipolar: went from drizzle and strong wind (tornado warning in other parts of town!) to cloudless sky and light breeze.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom