Getting a Pressure Cooker

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
12:58 PM
I haven't had or used a pressure cooker in years. My mother recently bought one for me (my daughter was visiting her, so she got it and is sending it back with her). She loves hers and thought I would like to have one too. How nice.

I can't wait to try it out. Do you use one?

I'm going to have to start collecting recipes. I heard you can make knock-off Original Recipe KFC chicken in one. That is probably the recipe I'm going to try first.

No, I would be really scared to have a pressure cooker. They just seem ominous with the shaking and intensity. I know they can be dangerous and I would be the type that would blow something up I am sure. I mean what do you even need it for besides fried chicken? I guess I feel the same way about pressure cookers that I do about turkey fryers...unnecessary.

We have our second stove top pressure cooker. Our first pressure cooker takes 16 minutes for the beef ribs to be tender. It was stable so we have no problem. When we bought the 2nd pressure cooker because the 1st one had a broken edge, we had a problem. The usual 16 minutes was too much and after some experimentations, we settled for 10 minutes. Good. But after a month, it was down to 8 minutes so as not to be over-tender. And now, after several years of use, the beef ribs takes onluy 6 minutes. What we are talking about is the period that starts when the cooker emits the sound.

I haven't had or used a pressure cooker in years. My mother recently bought one for me (my daughter was visiting her, so she got it and is sending it back with her). She loves hers and thought I would like to have one too. How nice.

I can't wait to try it out. Do you use one?

I'm going to have to start collecting recipes. I heard you can make knock-off Original Recipe KFC chicken in one. That is probably the recipe I'm going to try first.
Hello there. I am only allowing one set of fried chicken okay.:) I have one but the top small screw probably can't be found. Once I saw my husband using it to catch water from a leak. It's very old and probably of good quality but I have not used it in more than a decade. When it was bought, it was to use with tough meat like pig's feet, beef etc. I was to shorten the cooking time.

I don't have a pressure cooker - I have a slow cooker though and I was kind of under the impression they worked similarly, so I didn't see the need to branch out to another appliance! My kitchen cupboards have too many things in them as it is!

I have never used a pressure cooker because of the old stories of how dangerous they can be. I have been seeing the commercial about this so call great cooker on tv which has got me interested in trying one. I like the idea that you can cook so much faster and still have good tasting food. I like one pot cooking.

I don't have a pressure cooker - I have a slow cooker though and I was kind of under the impression they worked similarly, so I didn't see the need to branch out to another appliance! My kitchen cupboards have too many things in them as it is!
They work in different ways, but to reach the same end. We tend to slow cook because we're wanting to tenderise tough cuts of meat. Pressure cooking gives the same result but by doing it under pressure dramatically cuts down on the time it takes.

In my experience slow cookers can't be beaten for recipes with lots of flavours that you want to mingle together, but if you just want to cook a tough cut of meat eg. ribs or a gammon ham, then a pressure cooker will get it done quickly and perfectly - you also don't need to drown the meat in a sauce - you just need enough liquid to build up the pressure. PCs can also be used for pulses, rice and even for steaming vegetables so they're pretty versatile. I know what you mean about storage space though - that's one of the reasons I went for an electric pressure cooker because it has a slow cook function too so I only need one gadget :)

They work in different ways, but to reach the same end. We tend to slow cook because we're wanting to tenderise tough cuts of meat. Pressure cooking gives the same result but by doing it under pressure dramatically cuts down on the time it takes.

In my experience slow cookers can't be beaten for recipes with lots of flavours that you want to mingle together, but if you just want to cook a tough cut of meat
eg. ribs or a gammon ham, then a pressure cooker will get it done quickly and perfectly - you also don't need to drown the meat in a sauce - you just need enough liquid to build up the pressure. PCs can also be used for pulses, rice and even for steaming vegetables so they're pretty versatile. I know what you mean about storage space though - that's one of the reasons I went for an electric pressure cooker because it has a slow cook function too so I only need one gadget :)

Thank you for the definition - I honestly was a bit clueless about them but everything you said makes sense! I think right now I'm good with just my slow cooker based on what you said!

Modern pressure cookers are extremely safe and easy to use. I have two Fagor's and use them several times a week.

I soak beans overnight than pressure cook them. They take approx. 6 minutes once pressure is reached! I cook lots of bone broth and it only takes a few minutes with a pressure cooker.

The new instant pots are awesome, but I can't see myself spending the money on one when I already have two pressure cookers. But if you are considering purchasing a pressure cooker I recommend getting an instant pot or electric pressure cooker.

I don't see how you could make Kentucky Fried Chicken in a standard pressure cooker - whomever mentioned that to you may have gotten a pressure cooker mixed up with a pressure fryer (sometimes known as a "broaster"). From what I've read, those are a bit more dangerous to use, and I don't think they're sold to consumers, possibly only to restaurants. Maybe it's just because they're manufactured for industrial use and not home use.

If you're new to pressure cooking, and not sure if you're going to like it or not, you may want to consider getting a less expensive electric model if you can find one. I've seen Aldi selling them at times for around $39, and Wal-Mart used to carry the Nesco brand electric pressure cookers for around $70 or so. Most other models are in the $100+ range for electric ones. Even many of the higher quality stove top ones start out above $100.

Hello there :)
I'm in love with my stove-top pressure cooker. I can make anything in no time and the meat is so tender after only 20 minutes, maybe even less, depends on the meat :hyper:It literally falls of the bones :bbq:
You can also cook the beans very fast and the carrots need only 2 minutes to cook.
I have read that less vitamins are lost by cooking this way.
I totally recommend it.

If you're concerned about safety, I would probably go with an electric model, since they shut off automatically. But that said, as others have noted, the modern day pressure cookers on the market are far safer than the models from decades ago. There are literally numerous safety function on them making it nearly impossible for the lid to blow off while cooking. That said, if you left a stove top pressure cooker on the stove and forgot about it, eventually something is going to happen. Whereas with the electric ones, once the timer is up they simply go into a warming mode or shut off completely.

They also vary in terms of how high of a pressure they can get up to, so you'll also want to look into that. The higher the PSI your pressure cooker can get up to, the faster it will cook things. My Nesco pressure cooker would get up to 15 PSI for example, whereas I believe the InstaPot only gets up to about 12 PSI.

As far as recipes go, keep in mind you don't need to make the entire dish in the pressure cooker. You can also just use it to prepare components of a meal, then finish them in the oven or on the stove. For example, when I make BBQ pulled pork, I prefer to cook the pork by itself with minimal seasoning. Then I drain out the excess liquid and shred it before adding the BBQ sauce - this keeps it from becoming too diluted and bland since pressure cookers retain all the moisture while cooking. Finally, I like to finish it off in a baking dish in a really hot oven or under the broiler, to crisp up the edges a bit.

I used to use my pressure cooker very frequently. I absolutely loved it, but it isn't suitable for use of my new hob so now it's sitting in the back of the cupboard. My daughter says you can get a mat which goes underneath the cooker for use on ceramic and induction hobs but I can't find one anywhere. Still, I'm using a slow cooker now, so maybe I won't need it. I did try one of those combined pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice cooker contraptions but I couldn't get on with it. The slow cooker part of it wasn't as "slow" as the conventional slow cooker I use now and, even when I followed the recipes in the cookbook to the absolute letter, everything used to turn out dry or burnt, so I returned it and got my slow cooker as a replacement.

No, I would be really scared to have a pressure cooker. They just seem ominous with the shaking and intensity. I know they can be dangerous and I would be the type that would blow something up I am sure. I mean what do you even need it for besides fried chicken? I guess I feel the same way about pressure cookers that I do about turkey fryers...unnecessary.

Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even learning more about them, they'll quickly assume the wrong things about them. And so, one will automatically assume that the worst is going to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear about one having blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with United Labratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other comsumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.

In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarantee! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom