Getting your 5 fruit & veg a day

Today I think I did a bit better overall, but I did weigh a few things and found out that some of yesterday's guesses needed rounding down... I don't eat as much as I thought/hoped for.

Brekkie
As yesterday, but figures are lower than expected when I weighed the fruit added to the cereal :(
Grapefruit juice (1)
Blueberries (¼)
Total (1¼)

Snacks
I got munchy, so took a Lebanese cucumber with me. It weighed over a portion, so that's (1)
Dried fava beans came to just under a portion (25g instead of 30g) so I'll add that to the breakfast blueberries and call it a full portion even though it's mixed.
Dates (1)
Total (2¾)

Lunch
Hummus, again much less than I'd expected (½ portion)
Fresh tomatoes (½ portion)
Kiwi fruit (1)
Passionfruit (1)
Total (3)

Evening meal
I did a rough record whilst making the soup. It's made 10 portions and contains 1kg cauliflower, 400g onions, 400g celery, 1kg peas. So that's 3 portions of veg per serving of soup. (3)
Total (3)

Grand total (10-1)
I need to remove the fava beans because they get counted with the peas, so only 9.
I was peckish all day today, craving some ice cream. But I was brave and didn't have any. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

1669190182147.gif

So far today

Brekkie is the usual 1¼ portions
Lunch has come in at 4 portions
Evening meal will be the same as yesterday (3 portions).
Total if nothing changes would be 8¼ but the hummus won't count because of the peas in the soup <headache alert> so 7¾...

I might add in an orange later on if I stop for a break.

The hummus would only counts as a ½ portion, the same as the tomatoes. The kiwi fruit counts as 1 portion, same as the cucumber.

What I wanted to eat: a pack of Kinder chocolate bars, ice cream, caramel popcorn, a bag of Smarties...
What I ate: an apple
Follow me for more tips on how to live miserably
You’re looking at it all wrong.

Chocolate comes from a plant, so it’s basically a vegetable, right?

Ice cream comes from milk, and what’s more healthy and wholesome than milk? Cows feed it to their babies, it’s so nutritious.

Popcorn? Also a plant.

Smarties…well, they’re not called that for nothing, so that’s brain food (I ate a bunch just before typing this, so I’d get some extra intelligence).

Apples, well, those have a thick skin on them, hard to bite through, and a potential choking hazard, so you should most likely steer well clear of those, just to be safe.

:laugh: :wink:

You’re looking at it all wrong.

Chocolate comes from a plant, so it’s basically a vegetable, right?

Ice cream comes from milk, and what’s more healthy and wholesome than milk? Cows feed it to their babies, it’s so nutritious.

Popcorn? Also a plant.

Smarties…well, they’re not called that for nothing, so that’s brain food (I ate a bunch just before typing this, so I’d get some extra intelligence).

Apples, well, those have a thick skin on them, hard to bite through, and a potential choking hazard, so you should most likely steer well clear of those, just to be safe.

:laugh: :wink:

You forgot to mention that sugar comes from sugar cane, which is a plant, so it is a vegetable, too.

CD

I stick to 400g fresh veggies, 200g fresh fruits and 200g cooked veggies every day. It's working for me and I certainly feel better this way, than without.
Sometimes I can get high amounts of fresh herbs, like basil, cilantro or parsley. These herbs boost my concentration and productivity like crazy

Yesterday didn't go to plan but I did pack some backup supplies of loose veg to nibble on in the car

Brekkie was with raspberries so a full 1½ portions (1½)
Followed by a kiwi fruit (1)
Lunch only had 1 full portion of tomatoes in it (1)
Snacks between lunch and evening meal included a full portion of strawberries, watermelon & cucumber (3)
Evening meal included sweet potatoes & garden peas (2)
Total 9½ portions

Thursday & Friday weren't so good, but I've been making an attempt to include a kiwi fruit, 2 dates, a Lebanese cucumber, and a half portion of tomatoes as snacks.

Thursday 8½
Brekkie 1 portion
Snacks 3½
Lunch 1
Evening meal 3.

Friday (9)
Brekkie 1
Lunch 0
Evening meal 3
Snacks (2 dates, 3 prunes, kiwi fruit, a portion of strawberries fresh from the veg plot, cucumber) 5

The next few days will be interesting because hubby goes away at 5am on Monday morning and I'm dropping slowly over to diet mode, hence the low calories veg as snacks.

A whole pepper counts as 2 so if I need to up my count I'll have one as a snack with something to dip it in like humous, salsa, peanut/soy...

A whole pepper counts as 2 so if I need to up my count I'll have one as a snack with something to dip it in like humous, salsa, peanut/soy...

I'm presuming chilli peppers count so my latest recipe (Chicken phal - yet to be posted) has 4 of my 5 a day! There are onions in it too and tomatoes so that is 6, I think.

Back
Top Bottom