Recipe Ginger-Apple Chutney

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:31 PM
Ginger-Apple Chutney
Makes about 3-1/2 cups

Note: this is excellent served with pork chops and tastes best if prepared in a skillet immediately after frying the chops.

INGREDIENTS

1 TBsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped medium
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 TBsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you want more heat)
1 cup apple cider
1/4 cup (1-3/4oz) packed light brown sugar
Table salt and ground black pepper

After removing the chops, pour off any fat from the skillet, then heat the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the ginger, allspice, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the cider and sugar and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits, until the cider is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with the pork chops.

Recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

I like the ginger in this recipe. I wonder if the chutney can be kept long-term in a jar?

Last edited:
This looks fantastic and is now on my must-make-very-soon list.
Hi gabaroo, WELCOME !!!!! So, you have a make soon list also. Well, mine is not exactly a list, more like a red folder. I stick recipes that look real good and swear we will make soon. I have to clean it out just about every month or so. You know the old saying, my eyes are bigger than my belly. :eek::D:giggle:

Back
Top Bottom