Ginseng Extract substitution

mjd

Veteran
Local time
6:21 AM
Hi all,

I absolutely love green tea and wanted to make it at home. The recipe calls for 1/4 tsp of ginseng extract (liquid). I'm not sure if I can post the recipe but you can find it if you type "Copycat Arizona Green Tea with Honey and Ginseng" in Google.

Can I substitute ginseng extract in powder form? If so, how do I determine the correct amount to use?

Thanks in advance,
MJ

Well...google didn't turn up anything. I think your choices are:

1. Get some liquid extract

2. Go about it in a round-about way: it may be easier to find out how much fresh/raw ginseng is used to make tea, then substitute in the necessary amount of powder. I'm assuming fresh to powder is an easier ratio to find.

In either case, you may have some experiments in your future. :)

Reactions: mjd
Thanks TastyReuben,

I had some sticker shock when I saw the American version is $10/ounce and goes up from there.

I have fresh ginger root here. I am going to try with that first and see how it turns out.

Experiments...Yeah! Crossing my fingers and toes. ;-0

Fresh ginger root is very different from ginseng. However, it could make a very interesting green tea. :okay:

Yes, it's very strong. I usually nibble on fresh ginger root because of an inherited GI problem. I started using it because I found out there are about 5 cups of sugar in Ginger Ale <wow>. I also make ginger candy which I love.

I found the tea at the Dollar Tree and bought several cases last week which is why I am considering making it at home. I might just keep buying everything in stock when I pass the DT (lazy method ;-).

Hey everybody! I found an Asian grocery store near my dentist's office. I called and they carry the ginseng extract. I'm going to try to make it with the ginger root and another batch with the ginseng. I'm excited! I love green tea!

Hey everybody! I found an Asian grocery store near my dentist's office. I called and they carry the ginseng extract. I'm going to try to make it with the ginger root and another batch with the ginseng. I'm excited! I love green tea!

That's good. Let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom