Going to cook my Christmas cakes tomorrow

I've never made one of the Christmas cakes that get started this early and fed with booze every so often, but it's on my list. I'm very much looking forward to yours.

^ Nice, Sticky Fingers. Waiting for the pics.

^^ Same, TastyReuben.

I'm waiting to transform into a fruit cake myself, though. Some people (like my late grandmother) bake fruity Christmas cakes here but most cakes are lighter and seasoned with allspice, cinnamon, ginger, orange zest and cardamon and are baked just a few days before Christmas (or frozen). I reckon that fruity Christmas cakes in the UK are stored for months (in room temperature) and frosted before serving(?). One exception here is Christmas date cake which is baked a few weeks earlier; sometimes it is brushed with coffee or spirits (once) but seldom covered with sugar crust.

At Christmas we use dried fruit mainly in snack mixtures and kisel (sauce thickened with potato starch) which goes with rice porridge. My family tends to buy Christmas bakery products from a nearby cookery and baking school* as we focus on the 2-storey gingerbread house (which usually doesn't stay put and causes row and havoc), ham, veggies and fish dishes. Same old same old - *but no year is the same.

OT: Sticky Fingers, is your avatar an eagle-owl? The Finnish national football team is called "huuhkajat" = eagle-owls/horned owls (Bubo bubo) as an owl called "Bubi" (along a Finnish sportscaster Bror-Erik Wallenius) had its nest at the football stadium and was often seen sitting on rooftops in the center of Helsinki. Link (Bubi interrupted a Finland-Belgium football game).

Cakes Made

IMG_1936.JPG

When do you start yours?
Fingers mate, my wife and I have colluded in making cakes for 20 yrs. I did the easy stuff making the cake canvass, my wife is the real talent. Her greatest feat was to sculpt a replica of my big brothers Jacuzzi complete with him and his wife sitting in it. I sunk a bowl into it with a small fish tank bubble maker. I have no talent for presentation.

Back
Top Bottom