Greek Cuisine

I wouldn't know where to start. I've been cooking and eating Greek food for about 3/4 of my life, although now I have it only about three times a week (I have to fit in my love of Indian food somewhere :laugh:). I eat mainly meat and soup dishes, with the occasional Greek pasta dish. I've never been a great eater of desserts, preferring some fruit or a cake.

When Craig's brother passed, he gave us first pick of his cookbooks. He had some interesting books as he was in the military and traveled a good bit, and was always a foodie. One of them is a fairly old Greek cookbook. I'm going to find it, hopefully tonight, and look through it. He also had a cookbook on tapas that has some really interesting looking recipes. Hopefully I'll run across that one too.

When Craig's brother passed, he gave us first pick of his cookbooks. He had some interesting books as he was in the military and traveled a good bit, and was always a foodie. One of them is a fairly old Greek cookbook. I'm going to find it, hopefully tonight, and look through it. He also had a cookbook on tapas that has some really interesting looking recipes. Hopefully I'll run across that one too.
I love old cookery books too. The Greek one I have was published in 1960 and contains no oven temperatures in the recipes, presumably because a lot of Greeks at the time did not have ovens. Indeed, in the village where I was some nine years later, they were still cooking on open fires outside their houses or using the village baker's oven when possible. The lady in whose house I stayed did have a calor gas cooker, but I don't remember her ever using the oven. The cooker was a gift from her son, and I expect at that time the gas bottles were hard to come by in rural Greece and therefore the gas too precious to use for cooking in the oven.

I've never had retsina outside of Greece. It is rather nice though, but I did prefer the beer. And you've just reminded me, I've got some ouzo in my drinks cupboard.:laugh:

I think I used to buy it in the UK in the 70's - well I must have done because I drank it before I ever went to Greece. I can't remember where I bought it - maybe Soho. I had some since and found it quite disgusting! An overpowering taste of resin.

I think I used to buy it in the UK in the 70's - well I must have done because I drank it before I ever went to Greece. I can't remember where I bought it - maybe Soho. I had some since and found it quite disgusting! An overpowering taste of resin.
My taste may have changed since, but I did like it at the time. I had my first taste of it in Thessaloniki. nearly 50 years ago.

Unfortunately there are few Greek/Mediterranean restaurants in my area. Most are "take outs". The two dine in restaurants are just OK. I think they have Americanized their cooking. There is a wonderful Indian restaurant. It is where people of Indian decent dine. The real deal.

I've never had retsina outside of Greece. It is rather nice though, but I did prefer the beer. And you've just reminded me, I've got some ouzo in my drinks cupboard.:laugh:

The first I'd ever saw ouzo and retsina mentioned was in the Alistair MacLean book "The Guns of Navarone". I have every one of his books and have probably read each 10 times.

Back
Top Bottom