Greek Feta Pull Apart Bread

makebread

Local time
7:39 AM
greek-bread-small.jpg

Hi all, this is my first post so apologies if I'm doing any Cooking Bites faux pas!
Last weekend we hosted a dinner party and my wife asked me to bake something. She sent me a video of a Greek style pull apart beer bread with Feta so I tried my hand at it without the beer.

This bread was easy to make, delicious, and well received so I'd encourage you to make it!

It's a 3 step process:
  1. Make the dough
  2. Roll it and top with mustard sauce, feta, and herbs
  3. Cut it up and stack it
The dough goes something like this:
  • 500g AP flour
  • 1 packet yeast
  • 2tbs sugar
  • 2tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 140mL water
  • 60mL olive oil
Mix until it's all combined and let rise for about an hour
Roll it out in to a big rectangle and spread your mustard sauce (2 tbsp mustard and about 40mL olive oil, whisked until it's all together), sprinkle your fresh herbs, and top with crumbled feta.
Cut it up in to 6-8 even strips and stack on one another, then cut it up in to 8-10 squares.
Tip a bread loaf pan on its end and start stacking one on top of the other until the pan is filled - it should look something like this:
dough-all-stacked.jpg

Cover and let rise.
Preheat oven to 375˚F and bake for about half an hour - voila!

I hope you enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this, Nick - and welcome to Cooking Bites.

Some comments/queries:

thanks for posting the quantities in metric

500g of AP flour, 2 eggs and 140ml of water sounds more like a pasta dough than a bread dough. Did you make the dough by hand or with a dough hook attachment? If you made it by hand how hard was it to achieve a malleable dough?

did you roll the dough out onto a floured or oiled surface? presumably at this point - having a rectangle - there are lots of other possibilities. One that springs to mind is spreading the dough with grated cheese and then rolling it up and placing it on a baking tray (I'm fairly certain that I saw Paul Hollywood do something similar in his City Bakes series on FN).

a general query about amateur bread-makers in the US - do you use anything other than "bread flour" (or in this instance, AP flour) when making bread? I've not seen a recipe posted on here from anyone in the US that used anything else (but it's entirely possible that I've missed it) - and that surprises me.

I look forward to seeing more of your bread recipes.

Back
Top Bottom