Recipe Greek Mushroom Stifatho

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:43 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This dish features mushrooms rather heavily. It also features a lot and I do mean a lot, of cinnamon so if you don't like either... It is best served over rice. Traditionally this would have been made with meat, onions, cinnamon and no tomatoes. Tomatoes has only recently arrived in this dish. This version (an adapted version from the Cookbook Veggiestan by Sally Butcher) uses tomato paste/concentrate instead. Various versions of this dish also use dry white wine. If this is the case, switch out the red wine vinegar for white wine vinegar.

Serves 4

Ingredients
4 tbsp Olive oil
+500g shallots or small onions, peeled and quartered (though you can use larger onions if needed)
1 red pepper, finely diced
400g chestnut mushrooms, left whole or quartered if larger
300g wild mushrooms, roughly chopped (can be replaced with any other mushroom if wanted)
3-5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
4-5 thick cinnamon sticks (use more if yours are thinner ones)
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tbsp tomato concentrate (or paste)
1 tsp brown sugar
2 bay leaves
75ml red wine vinegar (roughly 5 tbsp)
250ml red wine
Salt (to taste)

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add in the onions. Cook on a high heat for approx. 5 min until they are starting to brown.
  2. Add the chopped pepper and mushrooms and fry for another 5 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute before adding the cinnamon (broken down the middle), black pepper, tomato concentrate, sugar, bay leaves, vinegar and wine and stir well.
  4. Cover the saucepan and bring to the boil. The liquid level should be around the top of the veg, if it is low, then add a touch of water, then reduce the heat and simmer for around an hour.
  5. Serve over rice or as is with bread.

SNSSO that looks a very tasty mushroom recipe. It would need to be a banquet dish here as not everyone eats mushrooms.

@Francesca. I collect mushrooms in Autumn. I have some lovely pics to share. Where would the best place be?

Back
Top Bottom