Green peppercorns

I used to make it all the time, I mentioned yesterday my wife is getting more. They are in a brine in a jar here. I drain and add to,my sauce, they are soft and don't taste hot, just a mild yummy taste. They really are yummy. I guess my wife just stopped buying them. I reminded her last week. We also use a packet sachet of black cracked pepper sauce. That's quite hot.

Russ

Coincidentally I was reading a website about them which said on no account substitute for capers as they are completely different.
Not sure that I would necessarily agree with that. Both can produce sauces of similar flavour profile, but maybe that's because I've used both in shallot/cream based sauces for fish!

Not sure that I would necessarily agree with that. Both can produce sauces of similar flavour profile, but maybe that's because I've used both in shallot/cream based sauces for fish!

If yopu used pickled green peppercorns that might account for the similarity in flavour, since capers are also pickled. Eaten fresh I suspect they wouldn't taste similar. I will find out when my order arrives!

When I get my corns its in a brine, I just drain and add to sauce. Is that how you do it? I havnt seen them as you buy them here.

My plan is to strip the branches of the peppercorns and then add them to the oil in which the steak has been pan fried. Then pour in some pre-made gravy (Bisto) and simmer for a few minutes before adding a slug of brandy.

Wish me luck!

My plan is to strip the branches of the peppercorns and then add them to the oil in which the steak has been pan fried. Then pour in some pre-made gravy (Bisto) and simmer for a few minutes before adding a slug of brandy.

Wish me luck!

Mine have arrived... they taste fantastic! Slightly lemony, grassy with a good heat - more complex than black pepper corns

These are they when recovered from the branches.

And these are they when cooked with the gravy and brandy.

Maybe the "sauce" needs a touch of ground black pepper because there was not a great deal of taste. At least it didn't overpower the beef steak which was good.

I think perhaps you needed to crush them a bit before adding. Not sure - I need to research...

Mine have arrived... they taste fantastic! Slightly lemony, grassy with a good heat - more complex than black pepper corns
To me, the green peppercorn sauces I get when we eat out have a slightly more sour taste than the black peppercorn sauces I get, which have more sharpness or bite to them.

Back
Top Bottom